Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Traveling with a Large

Options
DHall
DHall Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Im headed to Talladega in a couple weeks and am going to take along my Large for the trip. My question is if i take the egg apart should i remove the spring loaded hinge and band completely or just loosen the top band around the dome so I can remove the dome and leave the rest attached to the bottom half? Obviously I will be removing the fire ring and fire box so nothing is rattling around on the trip as well. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    DHall,
    i regularly transport my large egg (either on the floor of a van, or in the back of my station wagon) .. . as long as it is sitting flat on its base, and is secured so that it won't tip over, you can leave the dome on, fire box and ring and grate (and i even put my plate setter inside it) inside it, and it will be fine. .. i haven't had any problems yet, and i've transported mine probably 6 or 7 times now, for distances up to 600 miles. ..HTH

• DHall,like Max I've hauled my Eggs in the trailer in their nests. I take the daisy wheel off and the cast iron grate out. So far no problems. The first time I move one I took the ring and box out and wrapped them in a moving quilt. I worry less about them in the Egg than I did about being out and bumping something.
    Good Luck & Good Eggin,
    Poppasam

• DHall
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    My problem is i have to be able to load and unload it by myself thus the need to separate the dome and bottom half. I will probably put the internal pieces back in to the bottom once i get it loaded tho since it will be pretty secure..just cant move it all together. I dont have a nest either...just a table for it that I will likely end up taking with me but it will be taken apart into 4 pieces for traveling.
    Thanks

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    DHall,
    Just a thought here,
    If you remove or loosen the band I would put the white plastic retainer that you had to remove after the installation, back on FIRST.
    I hope you kept it or if it came assembled it was included.[p]Good Luck,
    New Bob

• DHall
    Options
    New Bob,
    Thanks Bob good idea i had not thought about that but yes I did save them when I assembled the egg just for this purpose but had forgot about them.

• ScottinKC
    ScottinKC Posts: 29
    Options
    DHall,[p]In case you no longer have that item, another thought is to use a couple of large zip ties to keep the hinge in place. Worked for me in the past.
  • Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    DHall,
    When I travel, Ipull out the innards and place cardboard pieces between all ceramic parts to prevent any chance of cracks from rattling/jostling during the trip.[p]Talledega hugh? My assistant is going; I may have her look for the egg to get good food! LOL[p]Banker John

• LasVegasMac
    LasVegasMac Posts: 183
    Options
    DHall, now you wouldn't be heading that way on account of a Nascar event, would ya?[p]If so, I'm 'green' with envy.[p]LVM

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Tahoe.jpg
    <p />DHall,[p]I built Egg Transporters for my Large and Small and I use them to travel to competitions. The large needs two people to load it, but it is very stable.[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Do you still have the plans for he cit out and height?

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    haywyre,[p]Here's the thread with the info.
    [ul][li]Original Egg Transporter Thread[/ul]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • DHall
    Options
    LasVegasMac,
    Yup...havent missed a race in about 5 years. GO for almost a week. Get there late tuedsay or early on wednesday and stay thru monday. Only way to go IMHO