Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sausage Peppers Onion

Options
Egghead Willie
Egghead Willie Posts: 185
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for new ideas for an old favorite. Am doing this as a side dish this week end and looking to see how others do it.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    try sauteing the peppers and onions, then add some italian dressing towards the end and cook for several more minutes, comes out close to the sausage and peppers from the old stand at fenway
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC01940aa.jpg

I'll be watching this thread too. I'm pretty old school when I do them too.

DSC01946aa.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    Options
    DSC01914aa.jpg

You can put onion quarters in the fire for extra flavor....
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    This is one of our favorites
    SausagePotatoes.jpg
    Potatoes, hot Italian Sausage, onions, Peppers and finished with Ripped up Pepperachinis (sp) and a lot of the liquid.
    We generally do it in the house but could be egged.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Do you get much from the onion in the fire?
    If so, you made a BFF and I will do it a lot.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• thirdeye
    Options
    Well it's not like burning a stick or anything, but yeah, onions give a neat flavor and smell to the smoke. I think I like the small Spanish ones the best of all, cut in half skin and all into the coals.

If you do any cooking in a steel pit, onions add a subtle amount of moisture during long cooks, and they are tasty to boot.

3c46850c.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Sausage/Onions/Peppers as a side dish? I like how you roll. ;)
    It's one of my favorite combinations, whether on a hoagie roll, pizza, pasta, rice, you name it.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Ernyins,peppas,sausages....My favorite is....toss em in a pan of simmering(cheap) beer and a lotta butta(like 30-40% melted butta) for a while,then grill,then back into the beer/butta hottub for a nice soak.A sprinkling of rub of choice in the soak and on the dish never hurt either.I really like to cook the ernyins and peppas direct for a little char and the sausages indirect.Good Luck!