Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wine Question

Options
2»

Comments

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Florida Grillin Girl wrote:
    Bente, we have the French Rabbit stuff here. I think I have even seen it at Target. The boxed stuff keeps at least 30 days after opening. Just cook alot in that 1 month!

30 days? It must smell like vinegar when it's "fresh" :laugh:

Does it have a preservative in it?
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Try adding a good sherry (which will last months in the frig) to your caramelized onions at the end... do this off burner it will flame up... Really makes a difference.
    Look for Turning Leaf wines from Gallo. They sell a four pack of about 11/4cups of wine per bottle. Can find both Chardonnay and a red.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i will try the sherry idea. i think i have had the turning leaf i will look for it again B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    When I was 16 we had Brian Boak's older brother Vince get us MD 20/20 and back then there was only one flavor. When I turned 18 in 1975 I was of legal drinking age and away we gooooooo!Never touched MD 20/20 again. :sick: Now I'm clean and sober 18 years imagine that. :ermm:

Hi back to you and yours. :)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Julia Child once said: "Never cook with a wine you wouldn't drink".

That leaves cooking wines out. Fortunately for me, I will drink box wines and other non-expensive wines. The plastic lining in the box wines don't allow air in, so they stay very drinkable for months.

Be sure to use a dry wine. If red, cabernet, pinot noir, malbec, etc. If white, chardonney, sauvingnon blanc, pinot grigio, etc.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• LoisLane
    LoisLane Posts: 94
    Options
    They make white port. Check out : Moscatel do Duoro Portal. Yum. The bottle comes packaged in a yellow cardboard box.

Makes a lovely light cocktail when mixed with tonic & lime too ! Had never thought to try cooking with it- never have leftovers to worry about. :laugh: :unsure:
  • LoisLane
    Options
    One cup each ??!? Shoot- that's like juice pack / Capri Sun for adults. Sign me up. LOL
  • LoisLane
    Options
    Gary is correctamundo. Even if you don't care to drink wine, one should not be cooking with "Cooking Wine". Blaaaah. Others have already told you why... besides the fact that is it just plain nasty.

I volunteer at a cooking school for a hobby and I will never forget the day a guest chef told us how her MIL insisted on using only cooking wine in foods... AND KEPT IT UNDER THE KITCHEN SINK next to her CLEANERS. Now that outta tell ya something, eh ? :sick:
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    KEPT IT UNDER THE KITCHEN SINK next to her CLEANERS.
    ..YUCK :sick: :ohmy:
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Options
    BENTE wrote:
    yea i dont do coffee either. i did not know they were related but sounds good to me :laugh:

Something about the Tannins in Wine and Coffee affecting the same taste buds. I definitely lean towards sweeter foods and cant handle coffee or red wine.
  • LoisLane
    Options
    One other option to consider is that some grocery stores sell quite inexpensive wine that is still suitable for your purposes. ALDI's has wine for 4.99 & sometimes less, Trader Joe's has some inexpensive ones, Whole Foods sometimes has 3/$10, etc. Not sure if you have any of those in your area.

The small single servings are a great idea- but from when I have seen them for sale at hotels or for picnic baskets they can get pretty pricey quickly for the small quantity. Not sure what they sell for in a regular grocery store.
  • woody's wood pit
    Options
    Boy did you stir it up with this question!!!!

Now Im from Texas and my suggestion is just substitute beer when wine called for...besides it doesnt go bad, wont last that long and is great with Q.... :)

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,495
    Options
    Years ago I bought a can of aerosol gas (some "heavier-than-air" gas, argon?) that you spray into a half-full bottle of wine; it blocks the oxygen hence eliminating oxidation.
    It seemed to work well, but "leftover wine" in my house is as common as, uh, MiG fighters :laugh:
    Haven't ever seen the small bottles like you posted (since "the church" regulates our exposure to evil alcohol we have limited options), looks like a neat solution. We used to be able to buy chicken broth in small, 4-oz boxes which was GREAT for us bachelor cooks, but they went off the market soon too... :(

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,495
    Options
    FSM-Meatball wrote:
    Something about the Tannins in Wine and Coffee affecting the same taste buds. I definitely lean towards sweeter foods and cant handle coffee or red wine.
    Hmm. I don't care for coffee at all but I love red wines... :huh:

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...