Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rack of lamb cooking method?

Options
wkygriller
wkygriller Posts: 408
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight will be my first try at a rack of lamb. I bought an 8 bone frenched. I have found 2 different methods of cooking on the web. One was 350 indirect and the other was sear first and then finish indirect. What is the best way if I am looking for a mid rare finish?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I like to marinate them for a few hours or overnight, wrap the bone tips in aluminum foil as they char very easily, 350-375F direct and pull when about 125-130F, depending how well done you like. They will creep up 5-8 degrees. Usually about 30 minutes.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=700869&catid=1

Marinade, Lamb, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Cup Italian Salad Dressing
    4-6 Cloves Garlic, Whole
    1/3 Cup Sweet or Red Onion, Diced
    1/3 Cup Rosemary, Fresh Leaves
    1 Tbs Black Pepper, Fresh Ground
    1 Pinch Sea Salt
    1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
    1 Lemon, Juice From
    Zaatar, (Optional)
    Fresh Mint leaves, ( Optional )
    1/4 Cup Soy Sauce, ( Optional )

Preparation:
    1 Place all in blender and puree. Place meat in ziploc bag and marinate for 4-6 hours, overnight is OK but be careful after 12 hours as the lemon juice has a tendency to "COOK" the meat.
    2 This works well for lamb kabobs, legs, rack or shoulders and shanks.
    3 Soy sauce may be added for optional flavor.,
    4 If doing shanks, like to cut into 1 1/2-2 inch pieces as this tends to reduce the cooking time.
    5 Save the rosemary twigs for smoke!

Recipe Type
    Marinade

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2001/05/25