Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Member......just saying hello!

Options
BostonButterfly
BostonButterfly Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,
I've been lurking for about a month now, and today I finally registered. I wanted to introduce myself and say hello. This is a great forum, and I hope to contribute as I learn.

I pick up my large BGE next weekend at the Egg festival in NH. I'm very much looking forward to it! I bought some wicked good lump, and will probably get a plate setter at the festival. ( I assume there will be accessories for sale......) On my list soon is a Thermapen. Still haven't decided on a first cook.......

Anyway - hello to all! Thanks in advance. I know I will have lots and lots of questions!

Kim

Comments

• Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    Welcome BostonButterfly,

So you decided to register after lurking for a couple weeks. :woohoo:

Enjoy the BGE and enjoy the cult here.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• BostonButterfly
    Options
    I took the plunge! Sure does seem like a cult. Where's the coolaid at?
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    Welcome Kim. You won't be sorry...ok maybe you will... :laugh:
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    Welcome! Koolaid comes with the egg, newbie since 5/28, my virgin cook, whole chicken, brined overnight, 230 dome 5 hours with cherrywood smoke eggcellent. Love my thermapen, good to get a probe that can stay in grill for low and slo's, I like the one thermoworks make, cheap and seems well built.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • BostonButterfly
    Options
    I think I'd be a tad nervous doing a 5 hour cook on my first try!
  • I Like To Cook
    Options
    Welcome from another noob. 5 hr cooks are easier than 15 min cooks.
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    It was pretty easy and I have had almost no trouble holding temps on the egg, just approach from below and little changes can do a lot, don't dink 10-20 degrees at low temps is no big deal.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!!!
    The platesetter is a very worthwhile investment!
    The egg store is usually open for eggcessories at the NH EggFest.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Welcome Kim!!! You will be meeting a great bunch of eggers at that fest, enjoy!
    Take pictures please. :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Welcome Boston Butterfly! So are you really in Boston? Grew up on the South Shore myself.
    You'll love your Egg, and you're going to love the people here. It's really like family (allbeit a bit dysfuntional at times :laugh: ). Be sure to ask questions to the cooks at the Fest, they are always more than willing to help! You will learn a lot! Happy Eggin!
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    Options
    Welcome I am also a 2 month Newbie. I love this place. My brother turned me on at the Waldorf eggfest. He will also be at the NH Eggfest, he lives in MA. Enjoy the friends and the food!!!
  • BostonButterfly
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome everybody!

Little Chef - I'm in Braintree. For forum purposes, I figured Boston sums up where I'm at. It's all Bruins all the time right now. It's great - they deserve it!
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Boston Butterfly...Small world. I grew up in Hingham. Worked in Battery March Park in Braintree for several years (right up the road from the Plaza). I, too, couldn't be more pleased for the Bruins!! Now if we can keep the Pat's on track this year, life will be even better!! :laugh: Welcome again! There are several other Eggheads all around your area. Great bunch of people!
  • BostonButterfly
    Options
    LC - even smaller world. I worked in Battery March Park for several years as well! Too funny. I work in Boston now.

The plaza has gone through quite a transformation. Rather high end now.......it's beautiful!

I hope you are enjoying FL. You missed a brutal winter here this year. Someday I'll move somewhere warm. Until then, it's Eggin the snow. :)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Welcome! Can I assume by your handle you are a female Kim? nice to have more lady cooks on here if so LOL make sure you say high in NH next weekend, we will be by the old camper cooking up a storm. Welcome, Julie
  • Little Chef
    Options
    OK...Just tell me you didn't work for Travelers?? :blink: :laugh: My family is all still up in that area (Hingham, Hanson, Pembroke). I happen to think they're nuts! :laugh:
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Welcome Kim. Don't worry about egging in the snow, I do it all the time ;) Also, depending on what kind of cooking you plan on doing I would recommend look at ceramicgrillstore.com. The guy that runs the website makes some real quality stuff that gives you a lot of versatility when using the egg. Just something to look at. You can do a lot with a plate setter, but ever since I bought my Adjustable Rig from ceramic grill store, the plate setter hasn't been used.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • BostonButterfly
    Options
    Nope - not at Travelers. I worked at Claremont - a real estate investment company.
    Still a very small world though! Thanks for the warm welcome.....
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    Show up at an Eggfest and there may be many choices of what to drink. :laugh:
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• BostonButterfly
    Options
    Yup......you can add another lady cook to the list here! Funny you should say that. When someone mentioned the NH festival, I thought for sure I'd be so out of place being a woman. I figured - what the heck - and bought my tickets, as well as a demo egg! If I'm outnumbered, that's ok by me. Now if I can just figure out out to use the thing. LOL.

Can I assume you'll be the only one with a camper??
  • BostonButterfly
    Options
    I can tell already that I'll be spending more money on accessories that I did on the Egg!
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Welcome! Lots of us lady eggers here and you should see many cooking or prepping at the fest. The platesetter was the main eggcessorie for me, though I've now broken/JB welded it many times.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I don't know about that, but it probably will be close ;) Of course I don't consider my nest and shelves as accessories, those were necessities. I can say regardless of what you decide to get, the two most important accessories are a thermapen and a dual probe remote thermometer if you are planning on doing low and slow cooks. Really think that these are without a doubt necessities. Not counting a method to go indirect, which would be your plate setter, or other options.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Oh, and a Thermapen. My new one is hot pink!

IMAG0384.jpg
  • BostonButterfly
    Options
    Where did you buy your thermapen? Trying to find a reasonable price..........
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Email Molly Shark. She will hook you up Kim.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • BostonButterfly
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I'll send an email....
  • BostonButterfly
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I'll send an email....
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Welcome, lookin forward to seeing your posts. Your cooking life is forever altered. Start slow and take your time. Enjoy the trip. You will love it. :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Welcome to the forum and don't wait to post about your cooks and pictures. We love them.

Here are some first cooking ideas. Cook the food to temperature and use time only as a guide and every cook will be a great cook.

Every one of the cooks below are simple.

Enjoy

GG

Fajita.jpg

egghfham4.jpg

egghfham2.jpg

eggcioppinob.jpg

primerib.jpg

primeribcut.jpg

blackncatntroutplate.jpg

1stcookonsmall.jpg

chili2.jpg

doroast6.jpg