Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole clearance?

Options
Rafter R
Rafter R Posts: 120
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
How much space between the egg and table does the 21" hole give you? For high temp cooks what is recommended clearance? 1/2 inch?

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    It is kind of tight, I made mine a little larger, 22" if I remember correctly. Also if you intend to cover your egg w/ a BGE cover, you cannot get it down through a 21" hole.
  • Rafter R
    Rafter R Posts: 120
    Options
    I just realized I misspelled hole w/ a W. sorry.

Capt Frank-- what kind of spacing did the 22 inch hole give you? Have you had any wood scorching problems with High Temp cooks? say 500 - 600 range ( which all the Pizza folks are recommending)
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I have about 1/2-3/4 inch all around, no scorching and I cook a lot of pizzas.
    I just went out and measured and my hole appears to be 21 1/2 inches [a little hard to figure with the Egg in place]. The distance from my bottom shelf to the top is 17in, the egg is on a 2in paver, so the net distance is 15in. This put the fire ring [inside the egg] just about flush with the table top, so you have a double thickness of ceramic at that point.
    My small has much less clearance around it, less than 1/2 inch all the way. I sear a lot of steaks on it and have never had a problem. I cook all my pizzas on the large, 500-550 degrees, the small gets cranked to 700 frequently, no problems with either one :)
    Hope this helps :)