Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Pizza help!

Options
Brokersmoker
Brokersmoker Posts: 646
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need help with the dough! It never even got to the egg (or off of my hands). This was my first attempt, but forget tossing, there was no way passible unless I was going to put it inside of a pan, and that would defeat the whole purpose of cooking it in the egg. Any help would be greatly appreciated (I'm now on a quest). Step by step instructions to take a pizza from scatch to my table would not be turned away either :huh:

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I like tp press my dough out on parchment. This is a LOT easier to handle.

Start with a piece of parchment that is cut just about square and fold it in half.

Parchment1A.jpg

Fold in half again to form a smaller square.

Parchment1.jpg

Now fold on the diagonal, with the inside corner of the fold above, as the corner.

Parchment2.jpg

Fold in half, on the diagonal, two more times.

Parchment3.jpg

Measure from the point, out to a distance half the diameter of your desired pie and make a single cut.

Parchment4.jpg

Here is the finished parchment.

Parchment5.jpg

Here is the dough pressed out on the parchment.

Parchment6.jpg
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Options
    I am still looking for the perfect recipe, but I just tried Jamie Olivers recipe and its pretty good. http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pizza-recipes/pizza-dough

I am pretty good with pizza dough, I spent a lot of years working in a pizza shop when I was young. Use plenty of flour, and try not to work it too much. Using a rolling pin is ok, dont worry about tossing until you get better. Its important to have a dough that can stand up to the stretching, if your dough tears, then you dont have enough gluten development.

Some people like to use parchment paper to slide the pie off the peel. I like to use Pizza Screens http://www.amazon.com/American-Metalcraft-Pizza-Screen-12/dp/B000SBLWZS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1307925114&sr=8-4. If you want a crisper crust, take the pizza off the screen and direct on the stone after about 4-5 min cooking.
  • Brokersmoker
    Brokersmoker Posts: 646
    Options
    Thanks, all great tips. I need to start simple and then graduate up :)
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I totally went simple, bought a 'fresh' pre-made pizza today and cooked it. Still, better than the oven!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Grilldog
    Grilldog Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi...

Yes, the Big Green Egg is awesatious to cook pizza on. I actually provided the pizza class for the Eggfest at the Iguana Grill here in Austin this year. Here are my recommendations...

I see you bough fresh dough, yes that is the easiest. There's plenty of places around that will sell fresh dough. I know here in Austin, TX you can get ready made crusts at HEB and I know Sunflower Market sells frozen dough. Also Mandola's Italian Restaurant sells their dough ( as will other Italian Restaurants/Markets).

If you want to make your own dough, I use a bread machine. I toss in the ingredients and set the machine to "dough" and let it do all the work. I don't have a favorite Pizza Dough Recipe, I'm still experimenting. Just look for a simple easy to make dough recipe and do what I do.

Then sit back and enjoy.