Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help ASAP

Options
dsmith
dsmith Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
See the post on the pool party at 5 for full run through...

it is 4:45 and we plan on eating about 6:15. Meat temp is 178 and I was steady at 250F until about almost an hour ago when I opened up my vents some to help top me off. (Temp then was about 10F less). My dome temp is now 325F. I don't want to overcook the outside of my butts but I need to get up to my final temp reasonably fast.

Suggestions?

Comments

• transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    D, you are so close to being ready that I don't think the elevated temp is gonna hurt you. close vents down a bit and let it finish.....rushing it at this point makes no sense. Have another round of drinks and relax a few more minutes.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Go ahead and ramp it to 325*, won't hurt a bit. Pull around 195 and rest in HDAF, towels and a cooler. You'll be okay!
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    I was going to say, if you take it out and wrap it in foil, and then put it back in, you'll reach your temps no problem.

Good luck. Take it easy, it's just bbq. It's supposed to be fun. ;)

Ted
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    You're fine
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Maybe start an hour or so earlier next time??

As has been stated, have another round of your favorite adult beverage. Perfection always takes time.
  • dsmith
    Options
    Yeah, overslept a little.

Dome temp has crept up to 375F but I'm not fretting. The meat was on for 11 hours at great temp so I'm guessing I'll be fine. It is now 5:22 and temp is up to 186.

Thanks for the help.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

If you feel you must you can easily take the tome to 400°. Loosely tent the butts with heavy duty aluminum foil (or 2 layers of regular foil) to prevent the bark to over develop.

Keep an eye on the meat for tenderness. Cooking at a higher heat will lead to more of a temperature ramp up after the met is pulled off the egg, so keep that in mind.

The cook will come out great.

Here is a 8# Boston Butt cooked at 400° done for 6.5 hours. Came out great nice and moist.

egghfham4.jpg

egghfham2.jpg

GG
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    so how did it come out? bet it was fine and everyone was WOWED LOL
  • dsmith
    Options
    Pulled at 6pm sharp at 195F after running at 350-375F for a little over an hour.

The meat was crazy-good. Thanks for the help!

IMAG0090.jpg
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Allow yourself extra time on the next one...it's much easier to hold em for many hours if they're done early...than it is to try to rush things....bottom line..is the meat is done when the meat is done....2 hrs/# is merely a guide...Congrats just the same..
  • dsmith
    Options
    See the "Done and Delicious" post above with the photo. It was great!