Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

$9.90 per pound for Black Angus....

Options
Vanzo
Vanzo Posts: 125
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
rib-eyes. 2" cuts, looked great but not tender at all. Flavor was good but very disappointed in the cut.

I haven't gotten any good marbled ribeyes in a while.

Oh well, just keep on trying.

Vanzo

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    not wanting to start a feud here, but you might want to look into aging a full sub-primal by yourself. It really makes for tasty, tender steaks in the end at a lot cheaper price. I recently ended a 16# one at 60 days and it produced fork tender results even though the piece was rated as choice and I bought it at SAM'S for half the price you paid. Here's a prime rib cut from that effort for the two of us.
    IMG_2195-1.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    don't be surprised at your disappointment. "black angus" is a meaningless sales term. red or black are genetically the same thing, different hair color. grocers and restaurants have been using the words "angus" and "black angus" as though they are magic. that's due to the success of the Certified Black Angus program. most beef in this country is black angus anyway

but not Certified Black Angus.

"Certified Angus Beef" is another thing entirely, generally better beef. yes, all beef is USDA graded, but the CAB stuff is further selected using other criteria. it's up-sold because of that.

but even then, there would be no difference between red certified angus beef (if there were such a thing) versus black, it's just that the black angus has better P.R.

black angus may be 49% red angus. and i think where the angus breeds started, red is actually considered 'better'

in the end, red vas. black is literally no different than blond versus brown hair. merely brothers and sisters with different hair color
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Hope you don't mind a response from a newbie. Watch Winn-Dixie for when they run whole bone-in ribeyes. I get them for usually $4.99 a pound. You have to buy a whole ribeye. I have them cut 1 - 1 1/2 in. and get about 14 steaks. I have yet to have a bad one. Very tender and turns out great. Just another option.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Hope you don't mind a response from a newbie. Watch Winn-Dixie for when they run whole bone-in ribeyes. I get them for usually $4.99 a pound. You have to buy a whole ribeye. I have them cut 1 - 1 1/2 in. and get about 14 steaks. I have yet to have a bad one. Very tender and turns out great. Just another option.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Ron

That is absolute ART! I am wiping the drool off my key board as we speak.