Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vacuum Sealed Pork

Options
Royal Coachmen
Royal Coachmen Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got my first egg yesterday and I was planning on christening it this evening with a small rack of baby back ribs.

I bought the vacuum sealed package about a week ago and cut it open today. It has been years since I last cooked ribs and when I cut open the sealed package it had a funny smell. Not terribly offensive but not like raw beef I'm used to smelling. I should also mention the meat wasn't particularly slimy or sticky...seemed normal in that regard.

Is 7 days in the fridge too long for the vacuum sealed meats? Should I toss this small rack?

Anyone have any suggestions on how to cook babybacks in about 2-3 hours? Thanks!

Comments

• 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    RC,
    Seems I recall a thread about this some time ago. If I remember correctly consensus was it is not spoiled but needs to be rinsed and dried and prepared as usual. The smell is apparently from the cryovac packaging.
  • Egger 4 6
    Egger 4 6 Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm a stickler about my meat! I've gotten sick once and I hope it will never happen again. If I even think there is an issue with my meat it goes straight to the garbage. Just my opinion. My wife says that "I have anal tendencies"! As far as cooking ribs in a short period of time, I've had no luck. I've pulled at 5 hour mark and at 6.5 hour mark and wished that I would've left them on longer. Have a great day! Hope your cook is the best ever!
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    Thanks Fellas. After I took 'Q Bruddah's advice and rinsed 'em off they were fine.

I cooked my first baby back ribs today...well today and last night. I started them last night and had them in for 4 hours. After 4 hours I had to hit the hay so I wrapped 'em up in foil and stuck 'em in the fridge.

This morning I put 'em back on for another 3 hours. They weren't dry but they weren't falling off the bone. I had to tear 'em to get the meat off with my teeth. I have NEVER been able to get the meat to fall off.

I cooked the meat at 225-250 the whole time. Any tips? If not I'll keep on reading some other baby back posts.