Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cut spare ribs in half before cooking?

Options
CaCook
CaCook Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing spare ribs again, should I cut them in half??
I know it doesn't affect the taste but not as impressive presentation.. :)

I have a rib rack but still havn't find a good way to place spare ribs. I foil the end of the grates but the 2 racks still sag onto each other and scrubbing off the rub I applied.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Don't sweat the small stuff. A little missing rub isnt going to have a significant affect on the finished product.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    doesn't matter. i often cut my slabs into racks before cooking anyway.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Once you cut them, the presentation is the same. I usually cut in half. In case you are wondering, the red ribs are char sui rubbed.

100_1157.jpg
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    As once pointed out by Lucy VanPelt, if you spread peanut butter on a piece of bread and cut it to make a sandwich instead of folding it over "it looses all its flavor". :laugh:
    Suspect the same probably holds for spare ribs.
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    I tried something new last weekend with my ribs. I had 5 slabs of St. Louis style to cook on my large. I laid them out, put on the mustard and rub, then using the 16" pizza pan that I use for a heat shield/drip pan as a guideline, I stood them up on end of the bones and made a spiral using bamboo skewers to "stick" them together. It worked out rather well. Had plenty of room and the ribs turned out moist and tender.
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.