Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Ham

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have no idea where to start but I do know this must be ready by noon on Sunday and that I can't start before 9 that morning (my son had baseball games all day Saturday). I can strech dinner until 1:00 so your thoughts please. I read 350 for half an hour per pound. Does that sound right? What piece of meat do I buy, any rubs, time, temperature, etc.? The inheritance may depend on this meal!

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Chip Morris,[p]Fresh ham IMO means uncured. If that is the case you have your hands full.
    If you get a cured ham (already cooked just warm up) look at the posts below. Get a butt portion not shank, not spiral sliced as they tend to dry out.[p]CWM

• Chip Morris,[p]CW Mike is right. A Fresh Ham is uncured and may
    require a bit of work before putting it on the grill. Lots of folks
    brine the ham for 8 - 24 hours then put a rub on it and put
    it on the grill. It will need to set for a while after it
    is done cooking and I would count this in as part of the total
    cooking process time. [p]Here is a link to a site with ham recipes. You might want
    to try the Coca Cola brine recipe. I did it last year and
    and liked it so well I'm doing it again this year with a
    22 pounder. [p]http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/ham-recipes/coca.htm[p]Good luck.

[ul][li]Ham Recipes[/ul]
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    CM:[p]Go get yourself a butt end pre-cooked ham and heat it to 140º internal on your cooker at 350º dome. If your crowd likes smoke, add some dry wood chunks to the fire. As previously mentioned, spiral cuts will dry out so use an uncut pre-cooked ham.[p]Play with the fresh hams once you have more experience.