Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Sirloin

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
343489%3B523232%7Ffp4%3Enu%3D3236%3E7%3B3%3E842%3EWSNRCG%3D323289943%3B%3A83nu0mrj
<p />I picked up a small (3.7 lb) pork butt sirloin (boneless) at Walmart. I rubbed it down good with G’Rilla and let it soak in some Coca Cola for half an hour while my Egg stabilized at 230°. I used an inverted plate setter with a drip pan with about 1” of water, and placed the Butt in a V-rack and placed that on top of the grill. I threw in a few chunks of hickory smoking wood and set my Polder for 160° and 12 hours. At the 4-hour mark it was already up to 140° internal so I shut down the vents altogether and basted the butt with a thin mix of cola and BBQ sauce. The butt temperature eventually climbed to 158° and held steady for an hour then started dropping over the next two hours to 148° (the dome temp was @ 210° by then). I opened the vents a bit going into the 8th hour and started basting it every few minutes. At just under 9 hours I took it off at 160°. It looked and smelled delicious. And it tasted great, except it was very dry.[p]Two questions: What did I do wrong? And what can I do to improve the moisture?[p]Spring “The Other White Meat” Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    343489%3B523232%7Ffp4%3Enu%3D3236%3E7%3B3%3E842%3EWSNRCG%3D3232899442%3C45nu0mrj
    <p />Spring Chicken,
    I forgot to show what it looked like when done.[p]Spring Chicken

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    You did a low-n-slow on a trimmed, lean rolled roast. Not enough fat.[p]Try 400 degree egg, throw in a little pecan wood, oil or butter the meat and cook untill 155 internal. Rest and slice thin. Great for sandwiches.
    Clay

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Clay Q,
    Sounds right. I didn't see a lot of fat before I cooked it and none after cooking it. I suppose I can chop this one up and make Q-Sandwiches out of it. [p]Thanks[p]Spring "Learning All The Time" Chicken

• Clay Q
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    I love pork and the egg does a fantastic job with loin roast. I've also laid on some bacon after oiling the meat to add flavor and help retain moisture. I gotta tell ya that your roast looked great. Options- [p]With dried out meat I make a meat spread using a food processor. Chop fine onion, celery, a little carrot and parsley. Chop fine the meat. In a bowl mix all together with mayo and enough salt and pepper to taste. Great on toast or in sandwhiches. Your smoked pork would make a blue ribbon meat spread. [p]Thinking positive Clay

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,842
    Options
    Clay Q,
    add a little paprika for color and tell people that its homade bge spam spread. i love spam spread at ice out and will definately try that. some meat spread, some goobers P&J, miracle whip and an onion roll. its a hard sell, but my salmon fishing tradition

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Yo Spring Chicken, They ain't no sech animule as a butt sirloin roast as the sirloin cut and butt cut come from two different ends of the hog and never shall the twains meat. :-)[p]In plain English, the butt roast comes from the front shoulder section of the hog while the sirloin is the from the end of the loin section that is closest to the back leg of the hog. So what you had was either a butt roast or a sirloin roast.[p]Since that roast was extremely dry, I would bet what you had was the sirloin roast which is the more scrappy part of the loin. This section of the loin does have a little more fat than the center section and because of this, I cook them to a higher finish temperature of 150-155ºF. (I cook loin roasts to 140-145ºF.)[p]As for salvaging what is left of the roast, I bet that stuff would work good in egg rolls or fried rice. You can also slice it thin and reheat it in a mixture of apple juice and BBQ sauce and serve the meat as a sandwich.[p]Lager,[p]Juggy

• Clay Q
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Gosh dang it, I miss ice fishing. Gotta get back into it. I'd like to build a fishing shack and spend half a day on the ice- sorta like camp. Peaceful. Just the sound of the wind and booming ice. A small egg would be there with me. Some day..........Anyway, I got to get back to carving.[p]Thanks for the tip on paprika, got some half sharp I like to use. Good luck fishing!

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Others have spoken, but I'll throw in my 2 cents...
    I cook pork loins to 140* max (regardless if cooking direct or indirect). One option is to inject with a marinade. As far as what is left - you can cut in small chunks and put into you next batch of ABT's. I'm surprised that you - "the ABT King" hasn't thought of that himself??? It's not easy being out of sorts with a cook. About two weeks ago I got all messed up doing a brisket and asked for some help from the forum too. I'm just thankful of the fine folks who offered their input. Later for now! Joe

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Juggy D Beerman,
    That's good to know, but the label said either "Boneless Butt Sirloin" or "Boneless Sirloin Butt" and I figured why not try it. I'd never seen one before. It salvaged okay. My neighbor and I just made some BBQ sandwiches with it. We managed to eat five between us. Now I need a nap.[p]Spring Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Smokin Joe,
    140° sounds better than 160° and probably would have been somewhat juicy at that point. I suppose I should have taken it off when it reached 140° even though it had only been cooking three or four hours. As for ABT's, I only use Lit'l Smokies cocktail sausages. I tried other meats and shrimp and didn't like it at all.[p]Spring Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Clay Q,
    Spring Hen and I are going to try your idea tomorrow. Thanks.[p]Spring Chicken

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    That makes complete sense - cook em they way you like em! I can dig it. Looking forward to meeting you all in Austin in May. Later for now. Joe