Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who is composting?

Options
cookn biker
cookn biker Posts: 13,407
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got this. I snapped it together and hope it lasts and the critters stay out. Looks like I'll have to hand stir. Perhaps a pitch fork for that? A new journey.
Molly
Colorado Springs
"Loney Queen"
"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    we do if we remember LOL I try to keep a vegi prep bowl on the counter when I am cooking and toss everything in there and take it out and toss it in.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i am, but no magic devices, just a pile. leaves should be mulched if you can (shredded), grass clippings, kitchen waste.

we eat a lot of fresh fruit and veggies, and probably 30+ pounds of stuff, peels, coffee grounds, even paper napkins, go into the compost. turn it over, keep it moving, and the pile will get smokin hot (140+) which can kill off weed seeds.

i even shredded a bunch of important papers and stuff, and that went into the pile too. long gone. only thing that hasn't broken down is the sunchips bag from last summer :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Julie, Forgot to post the pic. Long day.
    Does yours tumble?

006-9.jpg
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Some sites say no banana peels. Orange peels cut fine. I got 2 boxes of important paper headed there in batches.
    What about all the ash from the egg, thinking it'd be great.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    It won't hurt.It is only a form of potash. ;)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    We had the tumbler one and gave it to my mom and dad. was not using it. they are not either so might snag it back. we are more into it now. coffee grounds, egg shells and all vegi junk goes in. makes nice dirt. it is weird in FL we recycle everything, have to for trash day and then we come home to Maine and they do not at all, well 5 cent deposit on bottles, but that is it. feel guilty. and the composting we cant do down there in the park LOL
  • cookn biker
    Options
    It's hard to create that new habit. I've been trying for a week. All the coffee grounds still ended up in the trash. :angry:
    I snag stuff from work also, just to get it started.
    Pitch fork it is.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Ha, I had to look that up. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • stike
    Options
    We put banana peels in. Just no meat scraps. We add eggshells, but try to break them up because they dont really compost

Ash yes. Though ithink i'd do better to add it directly around the plants which need it
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    Don't forget to add the coffee grounds, filters, and egg shells.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Cool, thanks.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    I just shake the ash around my pepper and mater plants. Make sure there are no live coals left though.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    I'll be doing that now. :whistle:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Sunchips, huh? Well, Mister, your carbon footprint just became the size of Rhode Island. Work on this, please.

LR
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    Hi Molly:

We did a lot of composting in the back yard until our municipality got into the act.

Now we fill up the blue box with plastic, the grey box with paper, and the green bin with food waste. We're all good little soldiers.

One thing I will say about your pic - the raccoons in our neighbourhood would toss those pebbles in a minute.

Michael
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

I have been accused of sitting still for too long . . . :blush:

Looks good Molly, Congratulations, your plants will love you for it. :)

Blair

• cookn biker
    Options
    Michael, I'll put a log or two on it then. Thanks.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • cookn biker
    Options
    You deserve it Blair. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    countertop.jpg

bin.jpg

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• cookn biker
    Options
    I knew you guys were.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Molly,

I dump everything down the back hill. It will compost eventually B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hoss
    Options
    Is that first pic a chamber pot? :huh: If ya gonna do it,do it rite! :laugh: ;)
  • Hoss
    Options
    :laugh: Good one! :)
  • Hoss
    Options
    Gammo has a coon solution and they are tastee with sweet taters. ;)
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Hoss wrote:
    Is that first pic a chamber pot? :huh:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: No, it's a pot to put coffee grounds, egg shells, veggies, etc. until I have enough to go to the outside bin. It has a carbon filter on top so there is no smell. (Bad Breath & Beyond, about $25).

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Hoss
    Options
    Gotcha,I thought you may be an Xtreme composter. ;) :laugh:
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Only when I'm hunting in the woods. :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• stike
    Options
    That would handle a week's worth here.
    :laugh:

There's a reason we call it a compost 'pile'
    My neighbor buys special bags at the hardware store, then fills them with grass and leaves and puts out (easily) 20+ bags for pick up. Then he has topsoil delivered, and dumps bags of fertilizer on his lawn, watering every day rain or shine. Crazy

We toss it in a pile in the corner of the yard ( there's no smell), and when i need fertilizer or soil, i dig it out from the bottom of the pile

Ours is a bit of a combination of a hot pile and a vermiculture. Worms do a lot of the work and then get out of the way when it gets hot

Anyway. Just goofin on you. I cant imagine buyin a special bin when a pile works fine. Maine egg is gonna have her yankee card rescinded.
  • stike
    Options
    Plus, it attracts your brethren racoons
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    We use one of those by our sink as well. Easy Peasy!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.