Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting Serious with Brisket!

Options
Colonel Pork Butt
Colonel Pork Butt Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After successfully navigating my 22' F250 hd Deisel truck through the hellish streets of our nations capital,(Thanks to Mad Max's gps brain!, which was only 2 blocks off ... but what the heck it was on capital hill! 7th & C S.E.)and taking up 2 parking meters![p]I made my way to Union Meats in the Eastern Market and aquired an 8lb first cut brisket flat in an effort to rally my loyal troops at home, that this time, finally it will come out right![p]So, with that said ... will the King of Briskets please step forward and take me under your wing!?[p]My plan:
Rub and wrap ...for 24 hours.
Standard low and slow cook until internal of 200*
Sounds simple,.......there has to be a secret![p]Anxiety is high...
Greg

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Colonel Pork Butt,[p]glad you found it. . and glad to know that you didn't get stopped by the capital hill cops driving a big beasty vehicle like that. . ..btw, if you went to the other side of the building, you'd have been on 8th street, which is the side i always enter from. ..heeee. ..glad you found a good hunk o meat there. . .[p]i know there are better brisket guys than me out there, so i'll let them weigh in on cooking techniques. .although there are good trimming instructions on nature boys website. . .under the recipe section. . .www.dizzypigbbq.com
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Colonel Pork Butt,[p]No expert but have cooked quite a few briskets in my day. In that its a flat you shouldnt have any trimming necessary. I dont know that I would rub it and wrap it for 24 hours. If its a salty rub it will draw the moisture out of the meat and wiht brisket sometimes that moisture gets to be a precious commodity. I would let it sit for about 4-6 hours, or rub it just before you put it on the smoker. Have not seen any real benefit of long term marinating wiht rubs myself.[p]Cook it indirect about 225-250, I would look for about 12-14 hours for that sized brisket. I typically pull mine about 185 or so, maybe 190. They are better if you wrap them in foil for a couple of hours and cooler them, allows the moisture to redistribute throughout the meat. Some folks foil them for the last couple hours of the cook with a bit of liquid added, its an option but not a necessity.[p]Good luck, good brisket is hard to beat.[p]Troy
  • crkscrw
    crkscrw Posts: 59
    Options
    Colonel Pork Butt,[p]Oh man! I'd forgotten all about Eastern Market as a source of meat! Its like...meat nirvana! Ooooohhh...now I'm excited.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    hey greg,[p]check your email. ..[p]max
  • Colonel Pork Butt
    Options
    sprinter,
    Not a big salt guy, but would make sense! Thanks for the advice, think the resting in foil could be the key, never have done that in the past. [p]Now, I have realized it's easter weekend and an overnighter finishing Easter morning.....ugh, think my attention is going to be distracted. Guess I better wait a week or 2, like maybe for Sunday afternoon during The Master's golf tourney![p]Thanks,
    Greg

• Colonel Pork Butt
    Options
    crkscrw,
    And the crab cake's at the lunch counter, well I am a snob and they were AWESOME![p]Greg