Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stone for the BGE

Options
Banker John
Banker John Posts: 583
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What brand of pizza stone(s) have you used successfully on the Egg? I am looking to buy a small BGE and there is no pizza stone by BGE that fits the small; I would have to buy a smaller stone (12") for the small to take camping. {pizza is a regular event with and around our kids}[p]I have had stones that break (pampered chef, etc.) and do not hold up to the temperatures of an egg. [p]Banker John

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Banker John,
    The small pizza stone that BGE sells is 12 inches. I use that in my small Egg just fine. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Banker John, I bought my small stone at the Outdoor Kitchen store on Kennedy in Tampa. 813-875-3447 I forget the brand, but it's closer to 13 inches than 12, maybe even 13.5. I like it because it gives a little more room for pizzas. You need to use it on an elevated grid, as it would shut off air flow at normal grid level. I use a ceramic pie pan between grids as a plate setter. I've had my stone up to 500 a few times with no breakage.
    Scott

• Banker John,[p]I have a little different take on baking on the small cooker as it was difficult to get this cooker to bake right in all situations. By baking right, I mean to bake all afternoon with every loaf of bread, every pizza, to come out the same one after the other. After several attempts with different sized pans, I determined that the perfect sized hearth stone for this cooker would be 10" in diameter. This was the largest size that would give me the flow needed around the stone or pan for perfect results. [p]No company on this earth makes any round hearth stone betwween 8 and 12 inch in diameter but there are several companies that will pour you anything you want but it is expensive. Over 500 dollars mold cost for a one time run. [p]However, I was able to solve this problem in another way and get wonderful baking off this little cooker and will include some pictures. [p]22MVC-008E.jpg[p]This picture shows a 10" in diameter pizza on the small. Again, with the right setup, I don't have to cool the stone between bakes, wipe the stone with cold water, or anything else but just start baking one after the other and they will all come out the same. [p]23MVC-015E.jpg[p]This picture shows a large loaf of sourdough hearth bread. Bread is much more difficult to bake on any cooker but as I hope you can see, the small can do this quite well. What you can't see is an indirect setup for this to make it work right. The small doesn't bake very even and in a normal bake will have over 85 degrees difference from one side to the other on your hearth which makes for lousy baking but a fellow can work around this. Fwiw, the large has about 45 degrees difference from one side to the other but with something like pizza, most folks won't know this. [p]I would sure agree with the Whiz that a fellow can do just fine with maybe one pizza with the 12" in diameter BGE hearth stone but if you plan to do any serious baking, you need the proper sized hearth stone to bake all afternoon and have everything all come out the same. [p]If you need additional information, just send me a note and I will try to help. I also have pictures of many failures with the larger hearth stones as they really won't work very well. [p]Dave

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    And the secret is??[p]Eager minds are await the answer.. LOL[p]Toy Man

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Banker John,[p]BGE makes a deep dish pizza pan that is ceramic that we use in the small. It's 9" and works well for both a platesetter and ceramic mass. For thin crust pizzas, you can use the flat bottom side. For deep dish, use it the "normal" way. For platesetter, I line with foil (to use as a drip pan as well) and then add my raised grid so I have airflow all around the food being cooked.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Hello Mr. Toy Man,[p]Please post a picture of your success with baking on the small and I would be more than happy to give you a hand. There are no secrets and if you really own this cooker, put something up and I will try to help. The ball is in your court now so give me something to work with. Sure be more than happy to try help you with your eager mind with any type of cooking on the small! It's really a great little cooker. [p]Dave

• Charles in SC
    Options
    Banker John,
    I have the cast iron Lodge pizza pan that you saw last weekend. I wonder if you could not buy a cast iron griddle or pan and have a circle sawed out of the bottom the size you want. Any one with a metal cutting bandsaw should be able to do this. If you send me a pan I will saw it out for you.