Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Smoked Duck Legs

mcookmcook Posts: 14
edited 7:45AM in EggHead Forum
Buy attached duck leg and thighs. If frozen, thaw before marinade step. Marinade/brine overnight. Use your favorite recipe.

Next day.
Let duck sit out of refrigerator for an hour.

Set whole leg with thighs in drumstick holder. Otherwise, use grid and lay them on the grid.

Drop in adjustable rig with round pizza stone, lay down feet then a large drip pan onto stone. Otherwise use place-setter legs down then feet then drip pan.

At temperature load legs.

Smoke for 5-hours at 200º

Do not save the duck fat drippings. The marinade flavors it and if you used salt in the marinade, the duck fat will be salty.

I shred the meat saving the skin. Cut skin into bite size pieces and fry in a small skillet on low heat. Lay shredded duck onto delivery vehicle of your design, top with duck skin cracklings.

You are going to impress everyone.

Comments

• BotchBotch Posts: 6,196
    That sounds delicious! I've done a few ducks on my old water smoker (whole, not just legs) but hadn't thought about one on the Egg yet. Hmm...
    Too bad you can't keep the duck fat with this recipe; new potatoes fried in duck fat is the shiznit! :)

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.