Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For the sous vide fans in the crowd..

Options
boston_stoker
boston_stoker Posts: 794
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
Post removed. Search greeneggers.com for post.<br>

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Its a great resource. Given the free download, I'm surprised he can sell any.
  • Dreggs
    Dreggs Posts: 147
    Options
    The book is different from the free download. many more recipes, emphasis on sauces.
  • hiroller173
    hiroller173 Posts: 13
    Options
    I have it and use it extensively, even after using his website and other internet resources (egullet.)

The book condenses all of the times and temperatures for the various items being cooked, as well as having recipes built around the cooking method.

BTW, I am waiting to receive my copy of Modernist Cuisine. It was going to be my Father's Day / Birthday / Christmas present combined, but I found I had enough credit card points to get it now. The hype is strong, but the folks that have it are saying that it exceeds their expectations. For BGE enthusiasts who appreciate the scientific approach (and I'm one), this is going to create the opportunity to combine cooking methods and techniques beyond anything we could have imagined before.

How do you like THAT hype! :cheer:
  • gdenby
    Options
    I was lucky to get the first printing (and down load the errata :blush:) You will find the tome astounding. It really is stupendous and flabergasting!

You will also find that you'll want to spend about 20K on cooking appliances :ohmy:

I've been reading it about an hour a day for the past 3 weeks. There is an immense amount of info, and searching around for some of the ingredients and tools I can afford has soaked up a good bit of time.

I've tried a couple of sous vide to Egg experiments. The results were O.K., but I'm going to go the other way this weekend. Some pork in the Egg for a few hours to pick up smoke, then into the water bath for a couple of days, and then under my MAPP torch to finish.
  • hiroller173
    Options
    I used to sit around reading the encyclopedia as a kid - sounds like good experience for tackling this monster.

One of the more amusing things (at least to me) is that, as a all-grain beer brewer, I have the equivalent of a 15 gallon sous vide cooker. It's a gas-fired, automated Heat Exchanging Recirculating Mash System (HERMS) which will maintain the kettle within a degree or so perpetually. I made 72 hour short ribs and they came out great...

I'd appreciate your holding onto the research you do in terms of finding ingredients, especially if you can find them in home-user quantities.

Thanks!
    Fred
  • gdenby
    Options
    "in terms of finding ingredients, especially if you can find them in home-user quantities. "

That's the problem. Some stuff like xanthan gum and agar are pretty common. But even a half pound of xanthan gum is enough for maybe 175 pounds of specialty "Velveeta." Other things, like Activa meat glue can be found, but its only sold by the kilo.

I was just looking at TIC gums, and they are offering "chef" packs instead of full pallets of 50 lb bags. Still, its $100 per pack.

Check out Chef Rubber, Le Sanctuaire, molecule-r, and willpowder.
  • hiroller173
    Options
    Thanks.

Books just arrived. Can hardly believe it - I just ordered them on Monday afternoon (3 days ago).

Will be busy for a little while :woohoo: