Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Spanakopita

Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
edited 4:10PM in EggHead Forum
Kind of a no brainer, just a tad labor intensive in the prep...

Egg set up...platesetter legs down, green feet as a spacer, and pizza stone...400-425* dome.

Phillo dough sheets, just two layers, with melted butter brushed in between each...And the sheet of Philo cut into thirds long ways...
DSC02998.jpg
A blop of the spinach, parsley and feta mix, and I went a bit off the norm and added some marjoram, which I love with Feta...

Then folded like an American Flag...
DSC02999.jpg
Keep folding like a flag, until it looks like this...

DSC03002.jpg
Onto the egg, and I used a bit of parchement just in case there were some leaks...

All done...
DSC03003.jpg

These were tasty!

Thanks to all who looked! :)

Comments

• dhuffjrdhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Another bookmark saved for a later cook :woohoo:
    Is there a ratio to follow or are all the recipes I'd find using more or less the amounts of each ingredient?

Dennis
  • Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    Dennis...I am a bad cook...I never measure a thing! :( Just do it to taste. I would say...half a box of frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed, with a wet pack of Vigo Feta, from the fresh cheese section, crumbled into the spinach). Also added about 2 green onions, chopped, and maybe 1t Marjoram, but the Marjoram is not typical, and one raw egg, whipped then added. S&P to taste. The main advice here...Thaw your Phillo SLOWly...give it a full day or two in the fridge to thaw. If you try to thaw Phillo too quickly, it can get gummy from condensation. Melted butter brushed between the layers! Bubba Tim will be posting his first Phillo experience soon...lol!!! He was not very enthused!!!! :laugh: Just remember to brush WITH the grain of the Phillo!! Hope you try it!
  • Frank from HoumaFrank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Mightyfine eats LC - thanks for sharing
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    One of Patti's favorite snacks I will have to make for her, maybe she will get an egg for that LOL
  • Those look tasty. Some toasted pine nuts added to that mix would be excellent methinks.
  • BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
    That looks great. I have a friend (1st gen Greek)that really makes some good spanakopita.
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    My wife will love this one, I will try to surprisr her with it! Thanks for posting :) :)
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 22,874
    love those things, really miss the greek festival in lowell when i lived there.
  • eenie meenieeenie meenie Posts: 4,393
    LC, your spanakopita look tasty! :) They make such a nice appetizer.
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    I bet you could freeze these before baking them and just take out a few here and there for an appetizer. just brush with butter and bake.
  • EggSimonEggSimon Posts: 422
    looks great, LC !
  • Looks great LC, showed it to Randi, will be following in your footsteps again soon.

Doug
  • Mr HollowayMr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Those look great
    Another recipe to try
    Thanks for the post :)
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,817
    Opa! Nice job!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ranger rayranger ray Posts: 812
    what's the ratio of cheese to spinach?..... thanks! ray
  • Misippi EggerMisippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Awesome, Michelle.
    Love me some spanakopita!!
  • Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    ray: Approximately half a box of frozen chopped spinach to 8 oz Feta, crumbled. See my response to dhuffjr for a bit more info. I really just mixed until it looked like the right ratio. :whistle:
  • DnormanDnorman Posts: 117
    I know what I am cooking this weekend, this with some dolmadas, and some egged Backlava.

MMMMMMM
  • ChuggaBrewChuggaBrew Posts: 57
    Very nice!!
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    VERRY NICE! ;) I'm givin that one a try.