Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fast Butt

Options
407BGE
407BGE Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was having some folks over on Sunday night and had the egg all set up to start smoking a Boston Butt on Saturday night. Was planning on putting the 9lb butt on Saturday night at 8pm and pulling at 3pm Sunday @225.

The party Saturday night started mid afternoon and I forgot to put on the Butt! I started the egg, dialed in the Guru at 225 and left the Butt in the fridge!

Worse is that I did not discover this until 10AM on Sunday. I cranked up temp to 300 and put it on. At 3pm I cranked it up to 350 and pulled the meat at 4pm at 195 internal. Let rest in the cooler for an hour and pulled.

It did not have the intense smokey flavor and was not quite as pullable as when smoked at 225, but most of the people at the party raved about it. On a scale of 1 to 10, it was a 7.5 but not that bad.

My wife, who is a BBQ fan and has had many of my 10 out of 10 butts, quietly whispered to me "nice single" which was about right.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Well you pulled it off. No pun intended.

If you can smoke your butt ahead of time and pack it in the freezer until needed... :)
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i do fast butts all the time (on at 8am, off by 4 pm) with butts in the 9 - 10 pound range ....with great success. ..here is what i do ...

put the butt on at 325 degrees with a heavy dose of smoke for about 3 hours. ..

after 3 hours, wrap the butt in aluminum foil very tightly... .put it back on at 325 - 350 for about 4 more hours or until it hits 200 degrees and it is fork tender. ...i guarantee you it will be really moist, and those three hours in the heavy smoke will give it sufficient smokey flavor... . only thing it might be lacking from being foiled is a crusty bark...

but it will be good. . .