Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Collards recipe?

Options
Chuck
Chuck Posts: 812
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking for a good recipe for collard greens. I have already smoked 4 ham hocks to put in the pot. I have had some before with some great northern white beans in them which were good but I assume not traditional. The internet has many recipes but I am looking for someones "favorite" recipe. Looking forward to some great greens with my ribs tomorrow. [p]Somebody please help this, as an old friend used to say, "north of the Mason Dixon Line boy" out.[p]Thanks[p]Chuck[p]Chuck

Comments

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    Chuck, i make them often. No recipe though.
    Sautee' medium onion in some vegetable oil in a soup pot- medium heat on a cook top, til a slightly browned. Add your smoked ham hock & then add the well washed collard greens, with the stems removed & chopeed to 1/4" length. Add salt & pepper to taste, then cover with the lid & allow to steam for about 20min (turning with a spoon in between)
    taste & adjust seasonings and serve with some of the juices.
    [note: you must make corn bread to soak up the "pot-liquor"][p]Colonnade Corn Muffins:
    Makes 12 muffins
    Preparation time: 10 minutes
    Cooking time: 15-20 minutes [p]1 1/2 cups white cornmeal
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    4 teaspoons granulated sugar
    2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup cold water
    1/2 cup vegetable, soy or canola oil
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    2 eggs
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Grease or line 12 muffin cups and set aside.
    In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the water, oil, buttermilk and eggs. Beat vigorously for 45 seconds, or until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Pour into greased muffin cups and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.
    Source: Colonade, Atlanta, GA.[p][p]

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi,
    Yum.[p]Those cooks at the collonade sure can make some corn bread.

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi,[p]Thanks...I will do them both tomorrow.[p]Chuck