Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best marinade for pork chops?

Hub
Hub Posts: 927
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have in the in-laws coming over for a cook-out. They really like pork chops and I want to impress. Thought about Bar-b-que chops, but seems too easy. Instead, I would like to do an overnight marinade and them grill them to perfection.

Any suggestions as to the best marinade? Also, should I sear them at a high temp the same way I do a steak, or should I go with a lower and slower approach?

I plan to use thick, bone in, center cut chops. Thanks for any suggestions.
Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    What else are you serving with them?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Hub
    potato salad, corn on the cob, and tomato/onion/cucumber/vinegar salad
    :unsure:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    You could stuff them and season. Lemon pepper, spicy, savory. Stuffed chops will wow them.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    There is a readily available marinade you can probably find at your supermarket called "Dales Sauce," It is a soy based sauce and comes in a low sodium variety. I have been using it for years on steaks, chops, and burgers. A one hour marinade is about all you need.
    Not fancy, just simple and delicious :P :)
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    My two favorites both use a brine, over a marinade.

One I made up
    http://www.nibblemethis.com/2009/07/porkus-chopus-maximus.html

And Adam Perry Lang's chops from BBQ25
    http://www.nibblemethis.com/2010/10/apple-sage-grilled-pork-chops.html

Both of them are excellent. Lang's is better.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I'm of the opinion that using dry spices only prior to cooking then brushing on a sauce or glaze in the later stages of the cook results in better texture than marinating. Could be as simple as salt/pepper sprinkled, thrown on the Egg then brushing on a bottled product near the end. You can be very generous with it so as to give the meat a "wet" feel.

...........FWIW
  • beernut
    beernut Posts: 7
    The boss came up with this long ago. Use thick bone-in chops 1 1/4" minimum. Pat dry and rub both sides with garlic powder. Marinade for 2 hours in 1/2 soy sauce, 1/2 water. The longer you go the saltier you get. Easy, cheap, works every time. Just got my egg a coupla weeks ago so only egged these once. Smoked indirect with hickory at 225 for a coupla hours. Removed and cranked to 650. Seared both sides. Beautiful chops and very tasty.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I get the best results from pork chops by doing a 12-18 hour brine, then drying, seasoning, and cooking direct at about 425-450&deg. Keep the brine simple, water, salt, sugar, and maybe a small dose of aromatics - garlic, peppercorns, or even some sliced ginger.

You can apply a finishing sauce or glaze as they finish if you choose, there are a number of choices, but I like to keep it simple and match the planned side dishes.
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 383
    Some of the best chops I ever had came from a small market in Ohio that did a teriyaki type of marinade. I've come close to duplicating it using soy, ginger, garlic, sesame oil. I pierce the chops a few times with a Jacquard tenderizer, then marinade for as long as possible, at least overnight. Best results come from a vacuum cannister. The trick is to get the marinade as deep into the chop as possible. I've also used the Soy Vey Very Teriyaki with good results.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,998
    I've had good luck with dippin-n-grillin in balsamic vinegar: pour the vinegar (the cheep stuff, not the stuff from Modeno) into a wide bowl, dip both sides of the chop in, throw on grill, one minute, dip both sides and flip chop, one minute, etc until the chop is done.
    This may be too fussy for a crowd, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    Very simple dusting of Dizzy Dust let stand for 30-60 minutes. Grill to 140 internal let rest. Serve with a combination of orange marmilade and horse radish. (before adding the horse radish sqeeze out the maoisture through a paper towl to keep your sauce from breaking and becoming runny.) Simple but very good.
  • Hub
    Thank you all for the great ideas. I plan to incorporate and try several of the things suggested in this thread. I will take some pics and let you know how they turned out!