Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

where to set the dampers?

Options
Sieve
Sieve Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got my egg a week and a half ago and have already used it a handful of times - not bad for winter in Wisconsin. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some general advice on where to set the dampers (top & bottom) during cooking. I assume it depends on the desired temperature, but should 1 damper be open more than the other? What effect does opening the top or bottom damper have if the other damper remains at the same level of openness?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    sieve,[p]Welcome!!! You'll get 50 different answers from 50 different people on that. Some swear by leaving the top open and managing only the bottom vent. Others open the bottom wide and only adjust the daisy wheel and the slider.
    The flexibility is part of what makes egging fun.[p]One tip I will give you that was given to me is this: if you open the bottom vent all the way and open ONLY the daisy wheel on top (the thing with the holes in it), you should be within 10-15 degrees of 350 if you are using the Large BGE. On mine, it's spot on 350, which makes it very easy to adjust from there.[p]When you're cooking lo and slo, they're both all but closed. For me to keep a dome temp of 250, the daisy wheel holes are half open and the bottom vent is about the width of a coat hanger.[p]Hope this helps. [p]Check out the naked whiz' faq: [p]

[ul][li]naked whiz information central[/ul]
  • Souldaddy
    Souldaddy Posts: 22
    Options
    Good info, thanks.[p]Went through almost a whole bag of lump over the weekend testing my new large out. Did the best steak of my life on Sunday, and I've cooked A LOT of GREAT steaks.[p]I'll probably do a brisket sometime this week.[p]-Ryan