Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef roast - does low & slow work?

Options
chuckls
chuckls Posts: 399
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a 3-4 lb heel of round roast for dinner tonight.[p]Normally I'd cook indirect at 350 until 140 internal.[p]How does a low and slow treat a beef roast? Any reason to do it? I know for a pork butt it melts away the collagens, etc. at the plateau temp, but I'm not sure I want to cook the beef to that high an internal temp.[p]Advice? Thanks!
Chuck

Comments

• willmw
    willmw Posts: 41
    Options
    chuckls,
    I'd only do that if I needed a paperweight, bookend, or doorstop. :D

• Standbell
    Standbell Posts: 42
    Options
    chuckls, My advice. for what it's worth, is to cook it like a large steak. Sear at high temps, then roast with all vents closed for about 5-8 min, check internal temp. to the degree of doness you like. I like mine rare to med rare.

• Standbell
    Standbell Posts: 42
    Options
    chuckls,
    BTW, slice it very thin....

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    chuckls,
    JMHO, but i think that hunk of cow is too lean for lo and slo. ..if it was me, i'd be doing "pit beef". ..i've posted this before. ... set up egg at 375 indirect grid over inverted plate setter . .. .rub up the meat good with something like dizzy cowlick or red eye express. ...roast it till its around 130 internal (it will only take an 1 1/2 hours or so (maybe less). ...[p]now the key is to really thin slice it.. .shave it if you can. ..i have an electric slicer i use for this. . .serve it on kaiser rolls with horse radish and/or bbq sauce and raw onions. .. . a maryland/eastern shore delicacy... [p]also, go to wess b's site (www.wessb.com) for a good pictoral on how he does pit beef. ..very similar. ..

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Thanks, max, that's the program! I'm headed over to WessB's to check it out - I'm all out of dizzy pig so I'll have to quick mix up a good beef rub. BTW WessB's the first link on my website's link page, so I can get there real fast.[p]Hey and if I can find my round'toit I'll get some pics. This chunk-o-beef is straight from Iowa - my dad feeds cattle and I sell him corn from my farm to feed them. No better beef on the planet![p]Chuck
    [ul][li]chuckls' web page with links to hot egger sites![/ul]