Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone-in Pork Loin tips needed

TigerMark89
TigerMark89 Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My mother-in-law gave me a beautiful whole bone-in pork loin. My plans are (after cutting it in half to fit on my large) is to keep it simple. Light rub and grill indirect at 350 dome until 145 internal. I've struggled with regular pork loins (no bone) in the past being a little dry so I was considering either brining or injecting with something. I would appreciate any tips regarding brining or injecting or if you think these are waste of times.

Comments

• resullivan
    resullivan Posts: 28
    350 is to high. I cook mine at 250 with indirect heat. I have tried commercial injections, but have not found any I like. I just use the injection recipe in the BGE book.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    TigerMark89: I brine all my poultry and pork, and it is well worth the effort IMO! I have attached a link that should help. It's really an extremely easy process. In addition to the salt and sugar (I use brown sugar), you can add other things, too, like pickling spices, a strong flavored rub, etc. With chops and such, even one hour makes a big difference. On the whole loin roast, 8 hours or overnight will suffice. (Even just a few hours will help...are you cooking this tomorrow?)
    Also, I agree with your method, though there are other methods that work, too. 350* indirect is fine. You can also pull it at a lower internal temp, as the temp will continue to rise during the rest. I would suggest pulling at no higher than 140* (I usually pull at 135-137*) The carryover will give you another 7-9* after resting.

Here is a link that should help, but as a note, I do not agree with their time recommendations.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Pork/BriningPork.htm
  • Any idea on the cook time, it is 15lbs now so it will be cut into 2 7.5lb roast. Thanks also for the wonderful advice
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    TigerMark: As a guestimate, figure about 15-20 minutes per pound, give or take. Do you have any kind of probe thermometer you can put in and leave in, so you can monitor the meat from the outside? You can get one at Wally World, Target, etc, by Pyrex or Taylor that will do just fine for about $15. Believe it or not, I've gone through numerous remote thermos, and my Pyrex cheapo keeps on tickin'! With the roast(s) being that large, you may want to drop the cooking temp to 325* to allow a little more even cooking.
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    I usually cook 10 lb. bone in loins and use 250* dome as my temp. I pull them at 140* internal and allow them to rest 20-30 mins. It does not take long for the cook and I keep the seasoning relatively simple.....sea salt, ground cracked peeper, light paprika.....that's about it. Make sure the butcher leaves some fat on the pork. I have never had one come out anything less then KILLER. But, that's not my doing....it's all EGG.