Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pearl Frankfurters - I have seen the light!

Options
ShedFarm
ShedFarm Posts: 499
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After all of the hype about the Pearl frankfurters, I broke down and ordered 30 pounds of 'em from Massachusetts. My thought was if they weren't all they were touted to be, I could probably find someone at Waldorf, who'd be willing to take them off of my hands. The shipping costs are a killer, so I had to order enough to dilute the impact per pound of dogs.

OH MY GOD! These are the best hot dogs I have ever had!!! One might think "Oh, it's just a hot dog, what's the big deal?" - you probably have never tasted them. They take hot dogs to a whole new level.

And because it nevered happened without pictures, here's mine:
k8DzX.jpg

I'm keeping my Pearls for myself!
BJ (Powhatan, VA)

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    like an old high school teacher of mine was fond of saying - toll ya so
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Egghead Willie
    Options
    I too like a good Hot Dog and consider myself picky when it comes to which ones I'll eat. I'm from Mass and never heard of them. I'll do a goole search on them but where did you get them if you don't mind me asking.
  • Rafter R
    Rafter R Posts: 120
    Options
    They look good. Question, how do they stack up to Hebrew National Brand? I do not have access to pearl but do think the HN are pretty good.
  • ShedFarm
    Options
    I purchased them through their website (http://www.pearlmeat.com). If you click on "SHOP CART", the ones I bought are the "4oz All Beef Franks (Large) 2lbs". There is a 10lb minimum order. The shipping is expensive because they send them overnight in a styrofoam cooler with icepacks.

They have a product locator link, where you can put in your ZIP code, and find a seller (hopefully) near you.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • ShedFarm
    Options
    Everyone's tastes are different, but for me, I would rank them as Hebrew Nationals being very good, and the Pearls as being downright awesome!
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Egghead Willie
    Options
    Thanks I found a place 8 miles away. Nice weekend so will have to take a trip up there.
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Options
    Here in Buffalo, NY we have a brand called Sahlens. They're smoked and the best around, although I've never tried the others mentioned. Best fresh, not frozen but even then, they're great. Have to grill them on charcoal. When visiting the in laws in Atlanta, went to a farmer market and a guy came up ever weekend with a tractor trailer full and sold out in one day.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    key is like you said - the incremental cost of buying more pounds really goes down. It's that first gut-slamming 10 pounds that's takes your breath away! For me out here in Illinois buying 30 pounds worked out to a total cost of dogs and shipping at $8 a pound so that's not too bad for a premium frankfurter.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Couple of years ago, I think RRP ordered some and I figured why not?? 10#'s to Florida would have cost over $100, so I passed.
    Just before the Florida Sunshine Fest I was asked by Judy Mayberry from CA if I had a BJ's near me and if they carried them. 2pounds, 4 oz each $6.99. I got her 6#'s to take back home. Kept a few for myself. Even FlaPoolMan got some. Best I have ever eaten!

PACKAGEDDSCN0914.jpg

HOTPEARLSDSCN0920.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    pearls have more flavor, hebrew nationals have more salt. after eating pearls you will want to simmer the hebrew nationals before grilling
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    welcome to the club :cheer:
    Occasionally I will pick some up at BJ's.
    I have to admit that they are good!
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

I took out a membership at our local BJ's last year just so I could try the Pearls . . . no regrets. :laugh:

Blair

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    For those of you with a Stop & Shop nearby (several states in the northeast), try there. If they don't carry them, ask them to. I knew the store in East Longmeadow, Mass had them, so I asked my local store ('contact us' on their website) and within a week I actually got a phone call telling me they were in stock. Said it was easier since the chain already carried them, even if my store didn't. Now, they're three miles away. $9.99 for 2 lbs of quarter-pounders. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ShedFarm
    Options
    We have a BJ's about 15-20 miles away, but alas, they don't carry them.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Jerzee
    Jerzee Posts: 84
    Options
    Good to know Michael! I have a few stop & shops nearby.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I'll take 6 or 12 at Waldorf if you happen to bring it. Let me know how much?