Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Attempt 2 Day 3!

Options
toquina
toquina Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So here are a couple of shots of the pork bellies that are curing. Just a few more days and they can go on the smoker. I am looking forward to the finished product.

d0b3b718.jpg
15120831.jpg

I am thinking that I will smoke this bellies with apple wood, does anyone have any other ideas
Enjoy!!!
http://athomecooking.wordpress.com
Subscribe for free and recieve a daily recipe

Comments

• Chief Chef
    Chief Chef Posts: 199
    Options
    I have been curing mine with a similar recipe as you are using except I put a little additional maple syrup into the mix. Smoked three bellies last night using maple wood. Will try to get some pictures of sliced bacon when I do it tonight.
  • toquina
    toquina Posts: 94
    Options
    Have you ever made Panchetta?
  • Chief Chef
    Options
    Not yet. I have been reading up on the process however I think I will wait until late fall/early winter as I will have a nice low temperature area in which to hang the roll.
  • reader40
    reader40 Posts: 69
    Options
    i have thoroughly enjoyed the pictures of the bacon from this attempt and last and am that much closer to buying some beelies to try on my own but have to get a slicer first.

can't wait to see the final pics!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    first part of this post is about the pancetta.

Pancetta

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Chief Chef
    Options
    I read your thread when you first posted it. The Pancetta looks awesome. When the temps here in Ohio stay in the 50's (late fall) I have a good indoor spot in which to hang the rollls with steady temps, humidity and air flow, threee key performance criteria I believe.
    Also, love the idea of making gifts of the various meats.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    60 or 70 will have no ill effect. 60-70 is the 'preferred' temp for most

mold is the issue, and it's really about lessening it than it is preventing it. and the mold itself isn't harmful.

your pancetta won't be deadly if it's dried at temps other than optimal. it's only hanging two to three weeks anyway. no reason to wait til fall
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Chief Chef
    Options
    Alright already, stop! You are close to taliking me into it. 60 -70 is also the "preferred" temps for playing golf and after the cold snowy winter and drowning we've taken this spring I am looking forward to getting out on the "links" - oops, more sausage talk, sorry.
    Truely though, thank you for all the info.