Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Perfected a Pork Shoulder last weekend

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The last few pork shoulders or butts I had done on the egg were a bit of a disappointment. But I learned why this weekend. I was a prisoner to the meat thermometer. I was so concerned about the meat drying out that as soon as the temp hit 165 to 170 I was taking the meat off. Well, as most of you already know that was my problem. This time when the meat therm said 165, I wrapped it in foil and let it stay on. I waited until the bone was able to pull completely out of the shoulder. The meat therm said 195. I was a little nervous, but I went inside to pull the meat. Well the meat basically pulled itself. It was incredible and I have been eating sandwiches most of the week from that. I don't use a plate setter. This cook was done at 225 for about 6 hours then I foiled the meat and cooked another 1 hour to 1 hour and a half. 8 pound pork shoulder picnic fyi.