Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tilapia recipe?

Options
wkygriller
wkygriller Posts: 408
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The wife is not a big fan of fish, but last week I did cod on the egg and she loved it. Today she bought tilapia fillets :huh: and asked me to grill them tonight. I found one recipe in the cookbook, but it calls for a marinade that I don't have. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Season them in salt and pepper, douse 'em in flour, then an egg wash, then panko crumbs and fry em in butter on the egg. JL does that at the OKC fest and it is great.

Doug
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I have grilled them on sliced lemons or limes direct I forget what temp maybe 350F. Seasoning of choice. You won't have to flip.

I think ssn686 done it this way a lot.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    DuDis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCrj0Mqu66M

Probably won't have any Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Redfish Magic hangin around in the cubboard (you should get some for the next time) but a nice blend of seasoning that you like will do.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This is from Butt Rub and is outstanding:
    Jubilee® Seafood Seasoning
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• wkygriller
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the recipes. Going to try the lemon slices and tsunami spin in the fish basket (Thanks Tim). If she keeps liking fish I will try some of the other suggestions. Will post pics later.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Hey Frank, Loved you video. ;)

Just wondering what kinda heat were you doing them fish in that CI skillet? Tim
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    wkygriller: How did you prepare the cod? Tilapia is a mild fish also, but it is firmer than cod. Since the cod was such a hit, why not do something similar? :huh:
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Dome temp usually starts around 450 but goes up with the opening and closing of the dome so many times. Only takes a couple minutes per side.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Richard,

You can roll up a few shrimp in them and stick a couple of toothpicks in to hold. A little butter, herbs and lemon zest.
    You can also do them en papillote with butter and lemon.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    Another nice process from the Coop "en papillote"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo9jEXDoVnI&feature=related

Add can some other stuff you like to the package - sliced squash, carrot strips, etc.

Seaux easy and seaux good :)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Thanks Frank. I really liked the shot in the video when the CI pan and fish is in-golfed in flames. :woohoo:
  • wkygriller
    Options
    L.C. I did the cod the same method except I used shakin' the tree. She thinks all fish require tarter sauce so I'm taking baby steps right now. Hopefully one day I can get her into salmon and then possibly ahi. :ermm:
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Hey Richard, The first time Cindy and I tried this we loved it. We used limes or lemons and were surprised that the fish did take on that flavor to a point and I loved eating some of the chard slices if limes/lemons. I'm sure your cook will be great. Not sure who first did this but, Jay aka ssn686 was the first I seen do it. :)
  • wkygriller
    Options
    One of the best "light fish" meals I have ever had. Here are a few pics There would have been more, but the camera sucked the juice out of the batteries mid way thru.

Something we haven't seen here in quite a while...ball of fire in the sky :woohoo:

102_4990.jpg
    Put the lemon slices on both sides with tsunami spin.
    102_4988.jpg
    These things are awesome
    102_4989.jpg
    Need to find a better solution for a fish basket. Couldn't get a true temp reading. My sous chef in the background
    102_4991.jpg
    Plated. Not the best pic, but it tasted great.
    102_4994.jpg
    The wife put tarter on hers prior to tasting the fish. After she finished eating she said....and I quote "that tasted great, but would have tasted better without tarter sauce". :ermm:
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Nice pic's of your place. ;) I see you do have a lot of grass to mow. We live in the city here with Lot's of neighbors to deal with. I would love to live in the country like you but, I don't think Cindy would like it.

Sounds like your wife is liking the Tilapia. I am interested in the red fish cook Frank from Houma left you. I will have to try it soon. :P

Well we will have sunshine for a few days. I have some grass to mow as soon as the ground drys out some. A lot of folks have a lot of standing water. I am installing a brake box in my truck for my trailer. That will help with stopping and not rely on my truck brakes so much.

You all have a good day. Tim