Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brined Pork Loin- now what?

Options
ric3677
ric3677 Posts: 278
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had a friend bring me a brined Pork loin and he said just smoke it and then cook it.

What's the best way to do this?

thanks for your time

Rick in MT

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC03536a.jpg

Is this loin out of the brine? It needs to rest in the fridge for a couple of hours for the brine effect to settle down.

I doubt he is talking about cold smoking it, with a hot finish.... but since it's brined, a lower temp hot smoke (indirect) will add a great flavor, then it could be seared or finished off at a higher temp. I'm thinking maybe an hour or two as close to 200° as you can keep your Egg. (Watch the internal temp as it can be pulled as low as 145° you don't want to overshoot that). Then when the internal gets to 120°, pull it off and ramp up the pit temp, then finish it to your liking. This will also add some color.

I'm thinking your friend's intent for the brine is for moisture, but if you think your friend brined it in order for you to enjoy it with a ham-like texture and a little drier, you could take it into the 150° for the internal.

Now, when I brine them I do a light sear and flavor smoke them at a higher pit temp (like 300°) until the internal is 145°.

DSC00289crjpg.jpg

DSC00298a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Rick: There are a bunch of ways you can do this! What is it you/your friend are wanted for an end product? Something with a crip exterior? Something just smoked, with a smokey looking exterior? You can do this cook direct, or indirect, depending what you want in the end.
  • ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Options
    It's been a long time since I was on here last and yet, I always get such good replys. Part of the EGG family that I love.

With those kind of pics I think I will do what Wayne does. LOL
    Thanks a bunch.