Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another baby back rib question

Options
SmokinJ
SmokinJ Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This may sound strange but I'm cooking some baby backs for my Dad and now that he is older his teeth aren't as strong. hHe wants me to cook him a rack and make them really fall off the bone as in when I'm done cooking, he wants me pull the bones out and serve like a full rack together but no bones. I was thinking foiling longer any thoughts?. I don't foil when I do ribs usually but I'll give i shot.

Thanks

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Guessing here... steaming, adding some liquid in the foil, will make the meat more tender. Be careful as if cooked too long that soft tender will turn to a little tough and chewy.

I have ended up with little to no tough from the bone without foiling but I think in your case I probably would foil.

GG
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Yeah, I've seen ribs cooked tender enough to make a sandwich with the meat... a meat side down in foil with some liquid added should do the trick. I'd smoke them about 3 hours, then go 1 hour in foil at 250°. Then check every 20 minutes after that until they are where you want them.

An interesting note here, and naturally a story.... In the Carolina's where whole hog barbecue has been around a long, long time, the traditional method for serving is chopped. I'm talking a real fine chop, usually they pull big chunks of meat then use a cleaver in each hand for chopping. Sometimes it's served in a sandwich, or a pile of chopped pork on a plate with sides. And one story I was told was that the custom of chopping the pork came about because some of the older folks had bad teeth, and chopping was a nice way for them to still enjoy barbecue.

Chopping allows for different parts of the pig (usually called Miss White, or Mr Brown) to be served in different ratios. And it allows different amounts of sauce or "dip" to be mixed in for a moister product. (One of my favorite sections of the whole hog is the forward end of the belly ribs). Also chopped meat is great for making hash. Give some chopped butt a try and see how your Dad likes that texture.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I'd do the 3 hours, then another 1.5 in foil with a liquid like apple juice. You can add brown sugar, honey or both if you wish. Then sauce and return to egg for another 15-20 or whatever you deem necessary. If I want a firmer rib and I want to foil I only foil for an hour or less.

Good luck. Hope he likes them.
  • SmokinJ
    SmokinJ Posts: 220
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I will give it a shot this weekend. I'll some pork sliced,diced,chipped,chopped,pulled. It's all good. Intresting story.