Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket and Chili weekend

EggNorth
EggNorth Posts: 1,535
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked my 2nd brisket on Saturday (5 lbs for 6hrs at 250F) - foiled with beef broth for last hour. Turned out better then my first ... I'm getting there. Got my inspiration here: http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1080027&catid=1

Brisket_01.jpg

All finished on the egg (always forget to get a plate shot)

Brisket_02.jpg

Leftovers today used to make a Chili:

Chili_01.jpg

Chili_02.jpg

Thanks for looking. Always great tips from this site which contribute to a great egg weekend.
Dave
Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I'm newbie at brisket myself. Not very common here in Minnesota. Can't really compare it to anything around here. Work in progress as well. Chilli looks awsome!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Your chili looks good, and I'm sure it is still chilly enough to enjoy it.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • dugdbug
    dugdbug Posts: 244
    Chili looks awesome Dave. Curiously none of the pictures of brisket that I have seen so far look like what is served in Montreal :ermm:
    Doug the Bug in Barrie
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Doug,

MSM is cured like corned beef and then smoked like pastrami. It is then steamed prior to serving. I have searched and searched for a recipe but they keep it real close. I think you could produce something reasonable with Montreal steak spice.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• dugdbug
    dugdbug Posts: 244
    The company I work for is based in Montreal. When I visit I try to pick up a slab of smoked meat on my way home. We steam it for about three hours then serve with plain light rye and the French's shown in the top picture.

The other thing that confuses me about Montreal Smoked Meat is what style came first "Original" or "Old Fashioned" :huh: