Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Size to get

Options
DHall
DHall Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am on the verge of purchasing my first egg. I was set on getting a large until I heard about the newer XL. If price was not an issue is there any reason to get the large instead of the XL? Has anyone that has used both a large and an XL noticed any difference in ability to maintain a constant temp for long burns or to get up to super high temps that would favor one size over the other? Thanks for the help.
DHall

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    DHall,
    A lot of people like the large for ribs, low and slow, indirect. Then a small for high sears. I have 2 larges, and 4th and short (medium my 4th egg and a mini) for the Chiefs games.
    I'm going to change your subject line, just have fun with it.[p]Mike

• tn slagamater
    Options
    DHall, how big a crowd do you need to cook meals for... A large Egg has a 19 inch diameter grill and you can cook on two levels. That is a lot of cooking area. The xl is 24 inches in diameter. Unless you are cooking for crowds of 35 or 50 people the large is plenty of cooking space. Most non - egg users do not realize...this is not a normal type grill...it cooks from the top and bottom and can turn out a lot more food than other cookers. HTH