Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasted Red Peppers (right on the lump)

Options
BobS
BobS Posts: 2,485
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I got in last night and I am headed out tomorrow, but I am getting in one cook today!

I started by firing up the small egg to roast a couple of red peppers. I am not sure who it was that posted a picture of them cooking directly on the lump, but I really like it! They get roasted very well and do not get over cooked themselves.

30-04-11RoastedPeppers1.jpg

Here they are after I scraped off the skin and you can see that they are nice and plump.

30-04-11RoastedPeppers2.jpg

I got a nice bowl of chopped pepper. Tonight I am going to make a dish similar to risotto, but using the rice shaped, orzo pasta and I will stir these in at the end. I will add some grilled shrimp and scallops, so hopefully more pics later.

30-04-11RoastedPeppers3.jpg

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Looks really good.

I have the damned hard time roasting and peeling peppers. I've tried torch, grilled, then in a zip lock, and paper bag and peeling those suckers are just a pain in the butt.

GG
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Grandpas Grub wrote:

I have the damned hard time roasting and peeling peppers. I've tried torch, grilled, then in a zip lock, and paper bag and peeling those suckers are just a pain in the butt.

GG

I like to cook them hot and fast. IMHO, you are best cooking with the lid open, so the focus is on the char and not cooking the pepper. You really do not want to pepper cooked to the point that it collapses.

I put them in a zip lock, because I rarely have paper bags and because they give off liquid.

I let them cook until they are easily handled and then just scrape the skin off with a knife. I'll bet these did not take two minutes.

I do not rinse them because I think it washes away some of the cooked flavor, but in truth it is probably hard to tell the difference.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I am always left with picking off the little pieces of char and end up tossing the batch away and cooking the raw pepper.

Jut got off the phone with Ross (Ross in Ventura) and asked him about it and he does it the same way as you.

I guess I will give it a try again. Got to go wipe 6" of snow off of the egg and try it today. Some roasted peppers sound real good about now.

Thanks for the details.

Kent