Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

On-Topic & semi-OT: Our Easter 2011 Spread...

Options

Comments

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Now that is a cook! Taking weeks to prep, smoke, cure, and present. BGE Charcuterie at it's finest. LC grabed me on my way in from work this evening to show me your post and to personally nominate you for the BTCMD Award. I truly understand what went into all of this and I am awed at the skills that took to pull this off. It is with great pleasure that I present you with Eggdoms highest award(yes, I know that bugs you)the BTCMD Award... :whistle: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

598.jpg

Please send me an email with your mailing address so I can mail your award to you. Congrats again....
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I am in AWE!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Stike, Over the top beautiful!! So many terrific flavors you both created, I love it. I'd been anticipating your creations.
    I'd like the pickled beet and the bacon brittle recipes please.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Excellent sir! Was the dill the only green stuff?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    thanks steven.
    we had greens, spinach, the beets were sitting on their own greens (i really wish i had a pic of them, looked amazing). also had asparagus, carrots, roasted potatoes, fruit salad..... hahahaha

holy heck, now that i write it out it seems a "bit much" :laugh:

but yeah, there were some veggies too.
    heck, the pate' had an apple. wasn't that enough?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    thanks. recipes to follow a bit later.

the beets were from "american charcuteire", by V. Wise (i think it's out of print. LC told me about the book and i tracked one down)

the brittle was from "Good Meat". but essentially it is a basic one-pound peanut brittle recipe, but with 6 pieces (i would use 8 or 10 next time) of sweet bacon (pref home made) and 1 tsp red pepper flakes added in toward the end.
  • stike
    Options
    thanks hoss....
  • stike
    Options
    hahaha
    thanks man. does it count if the cooks and prep are spread out over a couple weeks though? i saw that dude who did 65 pounds of stuff all at once :laugh:

the crowd was really carnivorous. here's an example, no exaggeration....

everything was done, the the food served, and i had told everyone to go ahead and not wait for the lamb. i'd timed the ham perfectly (as much luck as anything), but needed a half hour or more to burn off some drippings from the ham. dammit. shoulda foiled the platesetter. so, desserts are being served, everyone has marched through the line and had the ham and other stuff. but there were a few folks telling me they were still waiting on the lamb.

i finished it, took it into the dining room, and started slicing a few obligatory slices for the few folks waiting for it. one was a 7 year old girl who told me she couldn't wait for the lamb. it's her favorite. she's coming back for a birthday party in two weeks, and asked me to cook another

i gave her the first slice, and told everyone it was ready, but the desserts and coffee were being put out

i went out, hung with the crowd, job was done for the day. not a half hour later i went in, and this was what i saw on the lamb platter.

20Easter-2011LambWipedout.jpg

i'm not kidding. this was put out AFTER the 20 pound ham and all that other food. :laugh:
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    WOW that stamp has not been pulled out in a LONG time!! :ohmy:
  • stike
    Options
    aw you. now stop that mushy stuff. you and i both know most of this is stuff i stole from internet cooking blogs
  • stike
    Options
    had a porcelain one in the basement i had to part with.... legs and all.

but i still like this one better
  • stike
    Options
    i had one young gal who walked by every time say something like "that's gross" "ew, the smoke is getting on me" "why do you make your own ham anyway?"

i cook what i want to eat, and if they go hungry, so be it. they don't have to come :laugh:
  • stike
    Options
    no smoke on the gravlax, just cured. hence the "semi-OT" reference in the title. some folks get upset of you post OT stuff in the 'main forum' :laugh:
  • stike
    Options
    lilac is mild. almost smells better for the cook.
  • stike
    Options
    thanks.
    yeah, the ham was great. not too salty at all, incredibly moist. i was flabbergasted. i mean, i'm used to a moist ham when done at home, but this was amazing. one thing i need to figure out is how to determine how much fat to trim. had a nice thick fat layer, but too thick for some.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    WOW!

I assume the ashwhole that gave you a very bad time was not invited this time?

I needed a nap after reading your post! :laugh:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • stike
    Options
    long ago RTD and woodoggies inspired me to step up my pics. i still take some real bad ones, too. but a little composition and few second's effort, and they can be much better than what i used to do. thanks
  • stike
    Options
    thank you, GG
  • stike
    Options
    i dunno. they day goes fast, not a lot of folks i know, and we cook the whole time. no one to get really drunk with either, since we are so close that we drive home :laugh:
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • stike
    Options
    i injected the ham, and it cured ten days. one day per two pounds. lickety split.

this one cured all the way thru, too, unlike my tur-porken, or franken ham the first year. it only cured three inches in, and i had a snow white pork roast mysteriously inside of it. :laugh:

much of this stuff came from the book you recommended, "American Charcuterie". many thanks
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    It was just the six of you right?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    Options
    i did a light cure, 48 hours. salt, sugar, pepper, dill, juniper, coriander, thyme

i think the only claim to fame was my idea to seal it in the foodsaver and let the atmosphere do the work for me :laugh:
  • stike
    Options
    yeah. veggies were non-BGE, so hence no pics. plus, i got tot take most of these pics before the big show, since most was done in advance. i think they woulda carted me off if i took pics of the asparagus. gave me enough grief taking a pic of the ham
  • stike
    Options
    you fish with dad?
    nice day. you are the smarter one of us two. we are still doing dishes. :laugh:
  • stike
    Options
    thanks

as for the week off.... i have a deadline... can't even relax. i need a break.
    still need to hang all the photos again and restock the bookshelves. ah well. plenty of time.
  • stike
    Options
    i took a week off the week before the week before. then still had so much work to do, i worked all last week on toppa this. hahaha

i'm an idiot. :laugh:
  • stike
    Options
    i'm jealous :)
  • stike
    Options
    more like a nightmare!
    :laugh: