Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old Dave Rules

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
naan.jpg
<p />Here is some tandoori style tenderloin, and some cumin seed/scallion naan bread we just polished off.[p]I am pretty sure I speak for others too, but I am so glad Old Dave is around. You don't his name plastered all over the forum, but he is always there to help. Between his help here on the forum, and the countless times he has helped folks through email over the years, I would venture to say he has spent hundreds and hundreds of hours sharing his experiences throug his keystrokes. Okay, maybe thousands. The naan information he emailed to me would have taken me an hour to type (if I happened to know what I was saying). And that is just one example. I know I am raving here, but I think it needs saying.....not only are his efforts to share his knowledge greatly appreciated, but his advice is usually right on target. [p]With Dave's instructions, even a goober like myself that has never cooked naan can come out lookin like a pro. His pictures looked better, but these were damn good.[p]Thanks Dave...for all you do.
Beers!
Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I FULLY AGREE! Last summer I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Old Dave in person in Peoria, IL. During that day he took me around to the contestants at the first BBQ on the river front event. He was "supporting" a young couple from IL in their efforts. They did WELL in the judged event. HORRAY to Old Dave!!!

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I echo your thoughts. Old Dave has shared a lot of great information on this forum and through email to me as well. Meeting him, and getting some of that great jambalia, at New Holland last year was a pleasure. I don't think I ever miss reading and Old Dave post, just great information presented in a great way.[p]That naan looks great!!! I would love to try it sometime. If appropriate could you share his recipe with me?[p]Have a great night. [p]Chuck

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I think Old Dave has a lot more experience as a baker then he lets on about.
    If you read his posts about bread and such.... you'd think he gets up at 3am to start the dough rather than run the farm..... at least that's my take.[p]Beers to Old Dave![p]John

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Howdy Chuck!
    Yeah, that was cool hangin with Dave in New Holland. Seems like ages ago....like back when it was warm![p]Sorry, but I printed his email a ways back, but can't find the actual electronic file. I am in the process of switching computers, and stuff is kinda in disarray. Plus, I have a little problem with my organization skills! I am sure I have in in here somewhere.[p]Look forward to hookin up with you again this year. You comin down to Maryland in April?
    Have a great night yourself buddy
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Likewise with BBQ there dude. Remember when he whooped up on us in New Holland last year?[p]He is one modest buckaroo, but a hell of a cook!
    Goob

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Salmon
    Salmon Posts: 146
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Looks very good Chris. I met Dave up in Iowa last year and he is the real deal, the man know his stuff for sure, drinks that cheap beer though. [p]Finally did a side by side taste test with Firewalk vs Swamp Venom tonight using chicken tenders, I picked Firewalk as best........good stuff mang, well........in my opinion anyway.[p]
    Czech Pilsners to ya's[p]Rick

• Nature Boy,[p]Thanks so much for the kind words and you sure have made my day. I really enjoy helping folks when I can and to get something back from someone as kind as you sure has me blushing. [p]Your Nann looks great and I'll bet it tasted wonderful. You told me that you get this bread at a restaurant or deli or something and I wonder if what you baked was as good? Hope so![p]It is also nice to see another person on the forum hearth baking something other than pizza. [p]Thanks again,[p]Dave

• Salmon,[p]Cheap Beer!!! Heck, I would have drank your good beer but I don't think you offered any. I love other peoples beer and only bring the cheap stuff so folks will feel sorry for me and pass out the good stuff. [p]See you in Marshalltown in June and good luck this season.[p]Dave[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    It really tasted good, and it WAS better than the restaurant's. Theirs was more like the texture of a water cracker...very thin and less bready. This had a much better texture I think, plenty of crunch and just a little chew. The kids were shoving the pork tenderloin into the lttle air pockets and eating.[p]I was wondering why I was sprinkling the water on the dough, but then I saw that that helped the bubbling effect, I think next time instead of drizzling the water off my fingers I will "flick" the water so I get more little droplets. Also I need to be more careful sprinkling the salt. Some places were too salty and some not enough. And I am thinking about giving the cumin seeds a rough grind first, as to me the whole seed was bit strong (of course I am using the freshest spices in the world :~)). The scallions were the perfect topping, and I can see loads of possibilities for this. A scallion/sesame seed version could be neat.[p]Did not mean to make your face turn red, but it needed saying. You are a poster child (poster geezer?) of what makes this forum, and the BBQ community, great. Hope to catch up with you again on the trail this year. Have a great day![p]Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Chuck,[p]Thank you for the nice comments.[p]I would be more than happy to send you the recipe but I did adapt it to the Kitchen-Aid as I knew that Chris wanted to make it in his mixer. If Chris doesn't get it to you first, let me know as I can just forward what I sent to him. Let me know.[p]Dave

• Nature Boy,[p]Ever roast Brocolli ?[p]I have not tried that or Califlower yet,
    but I have heard that roasted it makes it goood !

• Morning Ron, [p]That Peoria contest was a great event in a wonderful venue. It was nice meeting you and I hope they have it there again this year but I haven't seen anything on it. I know the organizer and the parks dept were having problems but I hope they can get it ironed out as this is a great contest. [p]Dave

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    did you plaster the naan to the dome? . .or did you just bake it on a stone? . ..dang man, that sure looks good!!. .lookin forward to this weekend big time. . .

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Salmon,
    Yeah, I been drinking cheap beer too, or as Woo calls it "excellently priced". Sure is better than that Milwaukees Best Light that old duffer drinks ;~)[p]Ooooo Pilsner Urqell. Now DATS some good stuff mang! So, you see now than "mang" has quite a ring to it eh? You use it like a pro.[p]Thanks for the kind words on the Firewalk. Just got done filling some sample bags.....and sneezing!
    Back to work. Catchya on the flipside.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • ChrisC
    ChrisC Posts: 107
    Options
    Patrick in GA,[p]Roasted califlower is one of my favorites - cut it up into pieces, put it is a zip lock, drizzle in some good olive oil - I use one infused with blood orange. Shake well and stick it the oven on a cookie sheet(never have done on the BGE but will now have to try). [p]Roast until the tips get golden. Pull out and sprinkle with kosher salt.[p]It is great - changes the whole taste. Becomes almost a nutty flavor.[p]Give it a try. [p]-ChrisC

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Patrick in GA,
    Ya know, I don't think I have. Usually either steam it or stirfry.
    Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Right on the stone. The inside lids of my eggs scream "do not put food on here!"
    Lookin forward to this weekend also. See you there.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,
    I checked the recipe section and found one recipe for Naan but not Dave's. Any chance you or Dave can share it?

• EggMaster
    EggMaster Posts: 37
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I agree about Old Dave. He recently shared a Hot Italian Sausage recipe with me. Best I ever ate. He also tailored it for my Kitchen Aide mixer :). Hats off to Old Dave.

• jerseymatt
    jerseymatt Posts: 112
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    that looks great. I would love to have both your tandori recipe and the nan. My email is mattinthehat_2000@yahoo.com.