Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carbonade

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since Receiving the January/February 2005 Issue of Cooks Illustrated, I was intrigued with the Belgian Beef Stew Recipe. The concept of the stew seemed rather simple, cubed stew meat, onions, tomato paste, stock, Chimay Ale and a splash of cider vinegar. Basically, you browned the meat, caramelized the onions with the tomato paste, browned the flour and then tossed in the liquids.[p]From here, the recipe called for a partially covered Dutch oven to be place in a 300 oven for two hours. Since my time with my BGE has been limited, I decided to fire up the large and I used an upturned plate setter with four kiln posts to set the Dutch oven on. [p]After two hours, the stew was outstanding. There onions had completely dissolved into the gravy which was the richest color of deep brown that I have ever seen. The presence of any potatoes or carrots or any other veggies for that matter would only have detracted from this wonderful concoction.[p]I served the stew over extra wide egg noodles. I also had use some beard to help me lick the plate clean.[p]Definitely give this dish a try!
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    sounds like a really good one. . .i love a good carbonade... my favorite is from julie child's original french cook book. .. following is the recipe as adopted for the egg. .. i really like the parmesan cheese and potatoes. . the egg gives it a great flavor (probably, and the same goes for the one you did i'm sure, the way it was originally intended to taste when cooked over a wood fire in a large country home. . .[p]CARBONNADE DE BOEUF A LA PROVENCALE[p]3lbs chuck steak cut into 3/8 inch slices (i used eye of the round as it is what mom always used and makes for nicer slices)[p]THE MARINADE[p]1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1 tblspn olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
    1/2 tsp pepper
    2 tsp salt
    3/4 tsp savory
    3/4 tsp thyme[p]mix the marinade in a glazed, glass, or stainless-steel bowl. Turn and baste the meat with the liquid, cover and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight, basting and turning the meat several
    times. (i marinated mine for about 6 1/2 hours)[p]The ONIONS[p]A heavy skillet
    3 tblspns olive oil
    5 - 6 cups of sliced onions[p]in the skillet, heat the oil, stir in the onions and cover closely, and cook slowly for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions are tender and just starting to brown.[p]BAKING[p]a 6 quart flameproof casserole
    7 to 8 cups sliced all-purpose potatoes
    salt and pepper
    beef boullion
    1/4 cup parmessan cheese (for final step)[p]Drain meat and season with salt and pepper. Alternate layers of onions and meat in casserole. Pour in marinade ingredients, then arrange layers of potatoe slice on top, seasoning each
    layer with salt and pepper. Pour in enough bouillon to cover the meat; bring to a simmer on top of stove.[p]ON THE EGG[p]here is where i deviated from the oven instructions:. . .at the point i put the casserole on the stove to simmer, i lit the egg and let it come up to 350 degrees. I put in some hickory chips,
    and laid the grid on top of the inverted plate setter. When the egg was steady at 350 (after about 20 minutes), i pulled the casserole from the stove and put it in the egg uncovered for 1
    hour at 350 (same as julia in the oven). After one hour, spinkle the parmessan cheese liberally over the potatoes, open the vents and let the temps go up to 425 degrees. Using a baster
    bulb, squirt some of the liquid all over the top and baste again at about 15 minutes. Remove the casserole after 30 minutes at 425 (check the meat and potatoes with a fork for
    tenderness). [p]

• aka mr. Earl
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Yea, I tried their version of a beef burgandy on the BGE and I couldn't believe the results. The smoke seemed to sharpen up the wine and meat flavors. Glad to hear you say the same thing. I thought I was going nuts.
  • Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I can't wait to do this! I've been looking for an excuse to break in my new Lodge cast iron Dutch oven and I believe this is it. Thanks for the details.[p]I'm still waiting for an opportunity to do the whole stuffed beef tenderloin, too...that's going to be this Saturday.[p]My folks are coming to visit for a week and the menu is shaping up quite nicely. I don't know how my parents will feel about most of my recipes being credited to "Mad Max," but I'm sure they'll get over it once they pick up a fork.[p]Big grins at ya, and thanks again for great recipes.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I was checking that recipe out earlier and all it sounded good at the time..... but I think your post has pushed me over the edge to go ahead and try it. Thanks for the nudge![p]john