Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

picnic shoulder question

Options
Bamaboy
Bamaboy Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just went to wal-mart and got a picnic shoulder and I am about to cook..............oh yeah, how do you cook this thing. Any suggestions? Thanks, Brent

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    bamaboy,
    Qfan put a nice little ditty together on this very subject. Check the link. Might give you an idea or two anyways. Shout if you have questions. [p]Cheers!
    Chris

[ul][li]Picnic at Qfan's[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bamaboy
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks for the info. I don't have a v-rack so should I cook it skin side up or down? This should be interesting since this is my first overnight cook and I don't have a polder yet. Relying on the good ol' meat thermometer. Pretty scary huh?

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    bamaboy,
    Nope, not scary. You'll do fine. No v-rack needed, just elevate it somehow over a drip pan. 250 dome will do ya all the way through. Even if you let it get to 275 once in a while it'll still be good, though aim for 250. Wake up every 2 or 3 hours to make sure you're still cookin. Stick your meat themometer in in the mornin and see where you are.[p]It'll be perfect.
    Have fun!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bamaboy
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Great! You have calmed my nerves abit. Thanks for the help. So, it doesn't matter if it is skin side up or down?

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    4bcb5d24.jpg
    <p />bamaboy,
    Nature Boy got you headed in the right direction on the cook. Here is a picture of the finished product to wet your appetite.[p]
    766adc5c.jpg[p]Here is another picnic'er along with a couple of his close friends, ribber & ribbette.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • bamaboy,Cook at 250 dome temp, don't let fire get too hot. Make sure temp has been stable for a long time before you go to bed and make sure you use plenty of charcoal so you fire doesn't go out. Fill the firebox all the way to the top and you can even fill it up to the middle of the fire ring. Put chunks of wood mixed in with your charcoal and put some right on top of the coals when you put it on.
    Good Luck !!! Peace...

• bamaboy, You should be fine on your cook but when you don't want to worry or mess with all the damper adjustments anymore get a BBQ Guru and let it do all the work for you while you sleep like a baby. Peace...