Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corned Beef Brisket?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought a cryopacked corned beef brisket and I'm just wondering if it is smoked the same way an ordinary brisket is? Does it need to be placed in a brine? Any ideas/help with recipes would be greatly appreciated too.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Hudsonjm,
    dont brine it, soak it in water for a day or two to remove the salt thats already in it, changing the water several times. its very salty. i cook it like a brisket and remove at about 175-185 and chill, then slice real thin. its to salty for me to eat right off the grill. once sliced thin i dip in boiling water until hot and serve like pastrami, or cut up with potatoes and onion and fried as a hash. goes good in pizza.after st pats day they will go on sale and ill be vacuum sealing them and freezing for the summer. dont put any salt in the rub, lots of garlic worked fine on my last one. its like pastrami, but not the same

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman,[p]Thanks for the help. I love the idea of frying it up as a hash. I'm glad that you told me it would go on sale after St.Pats so that I can load up...if it goes well. That was a great help! Thanks Fisherlessman!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    c8d8fbfd.jpg
    <p />Hudsonjm,
    smoke it, slice it, and seal it, freeze it for later use. with eggs in the morning as hash
    1531b0cd.jpg
    after smoking and freezing drop into boiling water in a strainer for a sandwhich,been staying away from bread lately, but with cheese and hot sauce its not bad, cheese was melted with a propane torch after the meat was heated. dropping it into the boiling water helps remove some more of the salt and is how some deli's make pastrami subs

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Hudsonjm,
    Here is a link to a recipe for pastrami using a store bought corned beef brisket I posted back in January. A big joint effort by several of the regulars on this forum helped me fine tune it. I've made it sereral times since then. Very easy prep and cook.[p]Most will agree that pastrami is best using home corned beef or brisket but this is a good option for the store bought ones.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Pastrami[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery