Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium = forgotten stepchild?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is the medium the forgorten step child? Most people seem to have smalls, larges, and minis, but not medium.[p]The reason I ask is because I was planning on getting a BGE as a gift for my brother, but can't decide. I could get a small with everything(nest, lump, elec starter, smoking chips etc), or for a simliar budget, I could get him just the meduim, no extra accessories.[p]He likes to cook and BBQ, so he could very well upgrade to the large if he wanted to at a later date once he "got his feet wet" on a small, but with a Medium he probably wouldn't.[p]Thoughts, input???

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    GMS,[p]I've been cooking on a medium for 10 years and have never once thought I needed more room. I have other cookers that do my large cooks for me, the egg is used more for personal use for the family, but with that said I can get anythign in there I need to feed my family, steaks, chicken, burgers etc. Cooks brisket and butts just fine. Would I LIKE to have a large, sure. Do I NEED a large, nope. Just my two pennies.[p]Troy
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    GMS,[p]I would recomend the medium over the small because it can handle most anything you would want to throw at it. I have had a medium for three years and have been able to handle everything I have wanted to cook. The only problems I have had is in wanting to cook two items at different temps and have them hot to eat at the same time (not really possible). That is why I just 15 minutes ago ordered a large to pickup at the Florida EggFest on 3/19.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    GMS,
    That's a tough one. I have a small, large and another old clay large. Just got the small last September. I use it more for cooking steaks, wings. Works really well for grilling, but I haven't tried it for low and slow items or things like rib roasts and turkeys. You've got enough room to do whole chickens or a small turkey. Guess it depends on how many he would be cookin for.

• GMS,buy the medium

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    GMS,
    check your email

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    GMS,
    Under the conditions you state, I'd get him the small so that if, like you say, he gets his feet wet, then he can get a large later. The large and small make a great combination, so setting him up with everything he needs on the small will position him perfectly for the large later. And you can do more on a small than you might think.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MyBge.jpg
    <p />GMS, browse the link - I only have a medium.

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options