Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Failure with the Egg

Options
Uncle Phil
Uncle Phil Posts: 669
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I knew it was a matter of time. My luck in cooking stuff on the egg had to run out sometime and tonight was the night. Pizzamiseria.
Here's what happened. I bought a Sam's Club pizza. It looked too big for the plate steer, so I got the bright idea of using foil to extend past the plate setter to protect the pizza. Decided to only cook half of it, so no big deal, but left the foil in place. Cranked the egg to 500 dgs., put on the pizza and waited 9 minutes. Opened it up and the crust on the edges was great, the whole bottom of the crust was darker than the ace of spades. So, we ate the topping. It was good. I thought... There has to be a reason these guys don't use foil...Is that part of what I did wrong?[p]Uncle Phil[p]Still hungry in Indian Rocks Beach

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    Uncle Phil,
    Did I miss it in reading or did you not use a pizza stone? The formula is 1) plate sitter 2) pizza stone 3) pizza
    No foil period. Also you need to stabilize the temp did you do that? Bet it was the lack of ceramic mass, but hey you'll get it soon!

• Uncle Phil
    Options
    RRP,
    The man at the Egg store said don't need a pizza stone with the plate setter. But it sounds like the ceramic acts as an insulator from the direct heat. I'll get it next time.[p]Phil

• Banker John
    Options
    Uncle Phil,
    Indian Rocks Beach... I hope you will be attending the Flordia EggFest in Ocala. It's just a short 1.5 hour trip for you.[p]Banker John

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    uncle Phil,
    the man at the egg store didn't know what he was talking about. BTW buy a BGE brand stone as it is made of the same ceramic material as the rest of your BGE - many have posted here that they have used other stones only to have them break and/or explode.

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    uncle Phil,
    I do my pizza directly on the platesetter. I do make sure I have a stable fire and temp is between 450 and 500. I do prefer a relatively thin, crispy crust so it is possible if I tried a thicker crust the added mass of the stone on top of the platesetter would be beneficial. Just haven't tested this.

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Uncle Phil,
    I tried my pizza for the first time last week. I followed the advice of these Great and Knowledgeable Eggheads and all went fin. I used the plate setter feet down and the pizza stone on top. I got my egg stabilized at 550, quickly tossed some corn meal on the stone before I put my pizza on it and closed the dome. I turned the pizza every 3 minutes for a total of 9 minutes and the pizza came out great http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2005/messages/180549.htm
    I used the dough from a local pizza shop and we made a thick crust. Good luck on your next attempt. I am sure you did not lose any sleep thinking about this, but you may have lost sleep thinking what you next adventure will be.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Uncle Phil
    Options
    Retired Railroader ,
    Thanks! No lost sleep... Just went to bed hungry![p]Uncle Phil

• ranger ray
    Options
    Uncle Phil,
    indian rocks... i used to live there 20 years ago, on harbor drive. how's the traffic on gulf blvd these days? yikes! lol.... ray

• Midnight Smoker
    Options
    Retired Railroader ,[p]You do not need, or want to, throw corn meal on the place setter before the pizza in thrown on. The corn meal is used on the pizza peel only an "ball bearings" to help slide the pizza off onto the placesetter. I would think the corn meal that was sitting on the placessetter would burn and give a nasty taste.
    Paul

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Midnight Smoker,
    I thought that the corn meal would help with the pizza not sticking to the stone while either turning or removing. I will have to keep that in mind next time. Thanks

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,828
    Options
    Uncle Phil,
    similar experience for me this weekend, thawed out some dough, made the pizza, but there was something wrong about the dough. it must have spoiled somehow, it cooked fine but had the flavor of playdough. i too ate the toppings only. the dough was so bad that the dog didnt get any either.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it