Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder Picnic

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, everyone! I'm relatively new to cooking with the BGE and the barbecue scene. I presently have a Boston pork butt on the BGE, following Mr. Ward's wonderful and detailed recipe. My question is what is the difference between a pork butt and a pork shoulder picnic? Does the pork shoulder picnic require a different cooking process as opposed to the pork butt? I would appreciate any comments. Thank you all.

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Rick Windham,[p]Welcome to the family. You have the cut that is my favorite. Just cook it up the same way you would a butt. The shoulder contains a butt as well as fresh ham portions and us usually covered by the skin which can be cut away and discarded when you pull the pork. You are in for some great eating, just stay with your orginal plan.[p]Bob

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Rick Windham,[p]Welcome to the family and forum. The cuts you are talking about come from the front upper leg (starting just above the knee) and extending into the meat comprising the shoulder of the pig. The naming of this meat and its portions is quite variable. The cut from just above the knee to just shy of the shoulder joint is called the "picnic" cut - or pork shoulder picnic. It is the upper front leg portion of the pig. Above this (moving up the pig) is the "butt" portion of the shoulder. This is commonly called the "Boston Butt". A whole shoulder comprises the combination of both cuts.[p]The "picnic" and "butt" are cooked exactly the same way. The reason for this is that the pig uses these muscles quite often and thus the muscle tissue tends to be tough and contains a lot of connective tissue that a long, slow cook breaks down. In the process some great flavors are made and the meat becomes tender, suffering no moisture loss.[p]The picnic cut has slightly more ham taste than the butt portion. Both produce great eats and either is well worth cooking.[p]Spin[p]
  • Spin,[p]Thank you for the information. I appreciate your help.[p]Rick

• Bob,[p]Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.[p]Rick

• Elder Ward
    Options
    Rick Windham,[p]Welcome on board everybody else covered the subject just fine.[p]Elder Ward