Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Squid Steaks ???

Options
Steve-B
Steve-B Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been looking for a source of squid and found one. The best I could find was was frozen tenacles and tubes. They also had squid steaks...???? What would I do with these? [p]Steve-B

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Steve-B,
    Sear at a high temp ala Nature Boy Squiddly Diddly.
    R&J

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Is a squid steak just tube cut lengthwise and laid out flat?
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Steve-B,
    I am not sure what a squid steak is, but sounds like a chunk of flesh from a really big squid. I have doubts as to how tender you can get this. I have had very little luck with larger squidlies. If the tubes are smaller than 7 or 8 inches, they are usually pretty tender.....but only if you grill as hot as possible. A blazing mini is the perfect tool, as the food is so close to the screaming coals. Good on the larger eggs too, just make sure you are screamin hot.[p]The "New Recipes" section has a five year old recipe :-) I posted for Eggfest High Temp Squid, er sumthin like that. Pretty much how I do em.[p]Let us know how they come out. Amazing how few folks cook squid.
    Happy cookin
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I think most of the folks out there are a little a'feared of thomething "slimey". Until they try squid it's hard to explain to them that the delicate falvor is less "fishy" than most fish andf that it can be areally good meal.
    I've done mine in the wok and boy howdy do they come out tender!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,748
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    someday ill try them on the egg, but there just so good fried. squid steaks sound like they would be like tire rubber tender though, stick with small ones

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Steve-B,
    I used to make squid steaks, I think. Take a squid body 8 to 10 inches long and cut it in two lengthwise. The meat is pliable enough that it will lie flat; hence the "steak" designation.[p]I liked to score the flesh with a sharp knife and marinate in teriyaki sauce. Then, just like NB said, grill 'em hot and fast. By the time you've laid grill marks, you're ready to flip. Cut into strips, they make a dandy pizza topping.[p]Ken

• Love Handles
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Hey Chris--I did some squid not long ago (with receipe help from you by the way) and put them on one of those round THIN aluminum throw away things from Wal Mart. Well I had the fire so hot, it melted the aluminum thing. I used the aluminum thing so I could turn them all over at one time. The ones that survived the melt down were good. See-Yaa

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    LoveHandles,
    Oooo ya. I wudda definitely recommended against the aluminum! Sounds like you had the right kinda fire goin though! Thanks for the laugh!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ