Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stone - Platesetter versus AR

Options
sd_newb
sd_newb Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got my BGE large order written up from my local dealer. I'm just dithering on the accessories. I've read lots of posts and honestly still don't really understand the adjustable rig versus platesetter debate.

Here is my question which I hope will at least partially clear things up. Pizza. I've read not to use a pizza stone in the BGE without the PlaceSetter because it won't conduct enough heat without it (or firebricks).

But when I go read about the Adjustable Rig on their site they say just put a pizza stone on the rig to make pizza. Are two standards being applied here or is the physics of raising the pizza stone enough to compensate?

Pizza is critical here. I had read enough hype about the AR to think i could get that without a place setter but... pizza.

thanks.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    When I do pizza with my large on the AR I put my BGE grate on the top rack with my pizza stone on top the grate. I also put another pizza stone or flat pan on the lower rack of the AR. This helps stop my upper pizza stone from getting to hot and burning the bottom of my pizza before the top gets nice and brown.
    I use the same high temp indirect style with my XL and Small for pizza as well. With the AR on the Large BGE a platesetter is not needed.

Please use discount code "photoeggpimpmystuff" for the Ceramic Grill Store.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Hello sd_newb, welcome to the forum,

I'm a big fan of the platesetter, legs down for brick oven, legs up for convectional oven - I cook more with it than without.

Having said that, I'm sure using the adjustable rig works fine also and have seen it here. If it's high it will not get the flames (if there are any)

Either way heats up just fine and the best part of failing on the BGE is trying again.

Most important part of cooking pizza at high heat is to 'burp' the egg. Just starting to get the hair back on my left arm :)

My last pizza with the platesetter/pizza stone (parchment paper is still on on this one because kids do not like crispy crust)
    Pizza_20110215_03.jpg
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,677
    Options
    What Darian said. I have both large and small plate settters and never use them.
    That is what the adj rig and spyder is for...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Ah, the ZA, probably the most "personalized" cook done in the egg.

The cook is not difficult. Feel free to call me if you like and we can discuss how the rig can bake 'em per how you make 'em.......number is on the site.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • 3Pedals6Speeds
    Options
    sd_newb wrote:
    Pizza. I've read not to use a pizza stone in the BGE without the PlaceSetter because it won't conduct enough heat without it (or firebricks).

But when I go read about the Adjustable Rig on their site they say just put a pizza stone on the rig to make pizza. Are two standards being applied here or is the physics of raising the pizza stone enough to compensate?

Welcome to the group.

Pizza is the #1 thing (popularity) that comes off my Egg recently. I have both an AR, and a platesetter (as do many out here). Re: the conduction, the reason to have the platesetter then an air gap, then the pizza stone is actually to shield the stone from direct heat coming straight off the coals. Without a baffle between the coals and the stone, I think (others may, and hopefully will if they feel so) disagree. The baffle for me helps prevent hot spots on the stone, and helps the pizza cook more evenly. Temp-wise, you can do it however you want, low, medium, high, I don't think the setup (AR or platesetter) will make a huge difference there. I like to do mine with the platesetter with feet down, the 3 green egg feet on top of that, and a thick (not a pampered Chef) pizza stone on top of that, all at 500-550 degrees.
  • jurisdoc
    jurisdoc Posts: 77
    Options
    My $0.02 - I use the plate setter for pizzas, low & slow and pretty much any other indirect cooks. Can't imagine owning an egg without a plate setter.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,981
    Options
    ive never owned a platesetter but have made lots of pizzas from deep dish to high temp thin crusts at 1200 degrees. the really high temp ones i use a pan with san under the stone, mid temp 500/600 degree pizzas an empty pan under the stone and or some fire bricks. the fire bricks are really handy, you can do some direct cooking in one area, indirect in another, and raising the grill with an adjustable rig brings alot more options. tom asked you to call him, that would be my first step. if i just baked bread and wanted my egg setup just for bread baking i would get a platesetter, pretty much for all other cooks its not needed, it takes more lump to use one as well and that makes a difference to me, i would be burning maybe 600 pounds verse the 400 a year i do now if i used one regularly
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it