Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracks in BGE too

Options
King-O-Coals
King-O-Coals Posts: 510
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just performed a total clean out of my egg this morning prior to setting up for a 24 hour butt. I discovered cracks in my firebox. They don't seem to be completely through the ceramic, but concerning to me just the same. In September, my ceramic firebox grate broke in three pieces. I only discovered it when the coals had burned down enough that the grate was visible. BGE replaced it free. Is anyone else having trouble like this? Are the cracks in the firebox normal or an indication of impending trouble? Could it be the thin steaks that I keep buying for my out of town guests, not absorbing enough heat??

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    Most people have cracks. Doesn't affect your cooking.
    If it falls apart, BGE will gladly replace it.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    King-O-Coals,[p]I've been cooking trouble-free with a cracked firebox for over a year. Figure I'll keep on until the thing breaks.[p]Cathy[p]PS Does your wife *know* you refer to her as your 'cleaning winch' [sic]? Man, those be fightin' words here up Nawth.
    ;-}

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    King-O-Coals,[p]My large has a crack that runs 3/4 the way around it (it has slowly taken 14+ months to get this way) the fire grate is in two pieces (recently). It still cooks great. I know that when I ask, BGE will honor their commitment to their warranty.[p]Your question should be directed to BGE. We can only help with how to get fatter using it. In the process of creating good eats, you can't break it in a way that BGE won't honor their commitment. Great people. A crack is not an operating problem and they will take care of it. I would offer the phone number but I just changed my ISP and temperalily lost a bunch of info :-}.[p]Spin[p]
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Spin,[p]My fire box is also in 2 pieces now but does not appear to hamper my cooking any. Matter of fact I just got up from the table where we had 2-2" Porterhouse steaks that I cooked at 1000*. Absolutely excellent and the egg is now cooling back down and in good shape. I will probably take the firebox in for replacement next time I head toward town latter this year.

• Teslamania
    Options
    King-O-Coals,[p]I just got a "heart" transplant, or should I say a "yolk" transplant. I had cracks in my fire box, and even had a crack in the fire ring above the fire box. I went to my BGE dealer, on Thursday evening, and they said "no problem" and that they had a new fire box that they got for me the next day plus i took the fire ring out of the large that they had on display. Others say that BGE will ship the parts to you via UPS if and when you need it. My guess is that it is the high heat that does it. Doesn't make any difference in how it cooks though.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    Cracks, yea, I got cracks but it doesn't bother me - I gave up taking the Egg apart to clean some time ago. As far as the grate goes - do yourself a favor and order a cast iron grate. You can see pictures of them on my web page. They can be ordered from the company below - many here use them. I still have my BGE grate as back up. As far as the firebox. I think the cracks are ok as long as the fire box stays together. I think the BGE policy is if you send it to them they will replace it. [p]Tim

[ul][li] -- 8" trivett ---[/ul]
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    King-O-Coals,
    talk about cracks? check these pics out. Cornfed's Small Egg broke in numerous pieces, but we doscovered HERCULES HEAT CEMENT to patch it all up, and it works just as brand new :)[p]http://biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/messages/33949.shtml[p]If ur computer crashes from this link like some members of the family have stated, email me and i will send u one at a time. And if u want exeprienced tips on how to patch cracks using this cement, please email me:)
    ST(and a place to B...NOW:) )

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Cat, no she don't know that. She is given information on a "need to know" basis, and I don't feel it is either necessary for her to know what titles I may give her, nor healthy for me for her to know this. She gets to decide the important decisions, like who will be President, is the ozone being properly monitored, will the warm gulf currents hinder or promote stronger hurricanes... I handle all the small things like deciding who's the best cook, whether she has mixed my drinks properly, is it time for her to wash the dishes I have messed up during my cooking ventures, etc. Seriously, yes our women know we refer to them as clean-up women. Like it? Not really. But their only options are to pack up the possessions that they had when we married them, wrap us up in a sheet while we sleep and beat us senseless with our blackening skillets, or ignore us and hope we just leave them alone. Besides, if they leave, they will have to head up north to the Cheeseheads if they plan to keep eating as well as they are now. But to be on the safe side, lets just keep it our little secret.

• Nature Boy, I think the cracks, though not bad, are bad enough to cause a problem with weight gain. My weight appears to be directly proportional to the lengths of the cracks. As the crack in the firebox gets longer, I get fatter!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    King-O-Coal, that just tells me its been places and did nice things and gives it character. Mine will go till it crumbles inside and then gets replaced..:-)