Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lambs Heads.

Options
snake701uk
snake701uk Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My butcher has a few Lambs heads to “give” me tonight. In Italy they are all young lambs so there is not much on them. Nobody wants the heads here so I get them. I normally just remove eyes, wash them well and sling in a normal oven with other stuff. Have never removed and boiled the tongue etc. Fine just in oven. The heads are cut open down the middle. We just eat as much cheek as there is and of course the brains etc. Wonderful great tasty food. Just very little to eat on there.
Does anybody have any ides on cooking them on a large BGE. Any info on cooking or usage of the heads would be a help. The supply is almost FOC! This is the season! Thanks. Andy

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Snake,

Lamb's head is really popular in Mexico. It's called barbacoa. I believe the heads are simmered in water and then barbecued. The meat is pulled off and served in tortillas with the usual condiments. Delicious!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• snake701uk
    snake701uk Posts: 187
    Options
    Thanks Steve, I will have many over next 2 months so will try to boil.
    I will try "rosting" on the egg as well. Brain up and covered with foil. Brown skin a bit. Problem is never tried on the egg.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    When, I said "I think" it was because the places I was in always had pots on the go. They may have been making sopa as well. The grills were fairly hot so I assumed they were being braised first. If you did them low and slow it might have the same effect. Goats head soup would work too.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    Steve, if you visit that Korean place on Yonge north of Steeles, you should visit this Persian supermarket too, I saw lamb heads there...
    http://www.blogto.com/grocery/khorak-supermarket-toronto

i believe they are the biggest in their respective ethnic community and both open 24/7
    Gary
    canuckland