Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salvadoran Pupusas & Curtido ... The Evolution!

Options
Little Chef
Little Chef Posts: 4,725
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Warning...this is long! :)

Oh what a night!! :blink: Actually...this was a two day affair of prep. Note to the lady Eggers: When the hubby sees something on a Food or History Channel, and decides 'you' need to try it, weigh your options carefully! :laugh:

I must admit, there was a ton learned in this lesson. I also admit, the main lesson for me was...I will not do these again! :angry: :laugh: Actually, now that I have taken this process from start to finish, and figured out all the mistakes we made in this first process, the next time will be a breeze. ;)

Salvadoran Pupusas are essentially like a stuffed soft corn taco/empinada type thing. It can be stuffed with beans, chicarrones, cheese, and in our case, we used a combo of finely shredded pork and queso fresco. The recipe I followed (loosely I will add) is here:
http://en.belgourmet.be/world_recipes/El_Salvador_recipes/Salvadoran_Pupusas_with_Curtido.php
(ps...I only used 1/3 cup oil for the Masa dough, and the balance water. It worked just fine!)

Now I can't believe there are no pictures actually making the Pupusas :pinch: ...but it entails making a very maliable Masa dough, which you make into a thick round patty about the size of your palm. Then you squish your thumb in, add some cheese and meat, then close the dough up around the top. So, now we have a stuffed corn dough ball. Then
carefully flatten it between your palms so you have a flat, round cake, with the filling encased inside. (I finally got the hang of this on about the 8th one! :laugh: ) Just search making Pupusas on You Tube. There are some good authentic places shown there.

So with the Pupusas made, we started the cooking escapade! :laugh: Time for a look at our Evolution in Pupusas cookery! As you will see...it wasn't pretty early on!

We thought it logical to begin with our typical pizza set up, which we do plate setter legs up, grid, then pizza stone.
DSC00146.jpg
We still don't know why this didn't work, as the stone was well over 500*. We just weren't getting the browning that we needed.

So for Plan B, Bubba Tim decided to go with the CI skillet...Direct! :blink: :laugh:
DSC00147.jpg
Looking good so far...

DSC00148.jpg
UMMMMM.....NOPE!! :sick::whistle:

Plan C...Pizza stone directly on the grid under the CI skillet...maybe?? :huh:
DSC00152.jpg
OK...Finally making some progress here!! As a note, the Egg was is the 650* range, with the skillet temping out about 500* with the IR Thermo.

DSC00153.jpg
This was try #2 with setup option C... (try #5 so far!)

And NOW we've got it...
DSC00154.jpg
Honestly, this was a TRUE :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: moment!!!

And the plated pics... (this cook only took about 8 hours to get to a plate! :blink: )
DSC00155.jpg
Served with Curtido, which is a traditional Salvadoran pickled cabbage slaw. Dried oregano in this slaw made it truly unique!

Close up...
DSC00156.jpg
Filled with the finely shredded pork, and the Queso Fresco, all encased in the thin layer of corn dough.

So there you have it! I won't be in a rush to do this again, though next time will be FAR easier!! :laugh: Thanks for looking, and I hope you enjoyed!

Comments