Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Fat Side Down Gets an A

Options
thirdeye
thirdeye Posts: 7,428
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
972645d8.jpg
<p />Here is the boy after the trim. About 3 lb's came off of this one which now weighs in at about 10 lb.[p]I learned how to cook brisket from my grandfather in the '60's. It always had a simple seasoning, always cooked over oak and ALWAYS cooked fat side up! So for 38 years I never broke the fat up rule (even on oven recipes). For several years now I've been reading the benefits of cooking fat side down, especially in ceramic cookers, so for the first time I tried it and the samples were great. I did have a little insurance in that I did an over-under setup with a butt on the grid extender.[p]
9cc65e99.jpg[p]Here he is after a 15 cook at 215° and a three hour rest. Pulled him at 188°. No turning, no spray no mopping and only one or two peeks, other than through the top vent.[p][p]830e8564.jpg[p]Look at the size of that point!! (No funny camera angles here)

Happy Trails
~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery

Comments

• thirdeye, Looks Great !!! DrBBQ did great last year on the BBQ circuit cooking brisket fat side down on the egg. I think it's a good method if it's good enough for DrBBQ !!!
    Peace...

• thirdeye,
    Would love to see what a slice looked like.What is the benefit to fat side down?[p]METRO

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Metrofire,[p]Sorry, no pictures of slices, maybe next time, but I was pleased with the moistness and also the bark. I sliced the whole thing and pulled the butt I cooked above it for sandwiches at work tomorrow. I can't base everything on just one cook as it may have been just a good piece, but I'm going to try the next 5 just like this one.[p]The brisketeers that cook fat-side down say that the fat layer acts like a heat shield keeping the flat from drying out. Most don't turn the meat and many ceramic cooks don't even mop or baste. [p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery