Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky Rack Thingies!

SnowEgg
SnowEgg Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DSC01859.jpg
<p />Happy Saturday afternoon!
This weekend's project was to construct some jerky racks to eliminate the pain of skewers with small pieces of venison. I took some 12 gauge perforated stainless steel sheet metal that I "acquired" some time ago and cut into 15.5" circles (I don't have a plasma torch, so this took several jigsaw blades to finish!). Three stainless 5/16" bolts with matching nuts and washers in the same pattern as the plate setter and voila! I now have four nice jerky racks. The problem is that I have to wait until tomorrow to try them out. There are two slabs of spare ribs occupying the egg right now. Maybe I should ask wifee for a small or minnee...[p]Have a great weekend![p]Scott

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    SnowEgg, Good job my man. Looks like that dog will hunt.

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    SnowEgg,[p]Man that looks great! That is the same basic technique that I have been using lately. Not quite as fancy, though. I have been using three trays and rotate them once, maybe twice, during the cook. I agree 100% about the pain in the behind those skwers can become. A+ work!!![p]Steve-B
  • sigmore, Thanks! I will post tomorrow with pictures of the racks full. I have been marinating slices of a beef round roast since last night, per a post for jerky recipe. Thanks to whoever it was that posted it. Sorry not to remember. [p]Scott

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    SnowEgg, I sell jerky as fast as I can make it. I can share some recipes if you want. I use ground round and make a kind of beef snack. Can't makum fast enuff. I use eye of round medallions for my personal stash.

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    SnowEgg, those things are too pretty to cover with marinated meat. I'd make them the centerpiece of my living room.
    Scott

• sigmore,
    I would love to swap recipes if you don't mind; email me, please. I have used and modified the same recipe for years. Most folks like it pretty well. It's basically a salt/soy sauce base with cayenne as the kicker and brown sugar for flavor. I have dehydrated most batches in the past until I got the Egg. Venison is my favorite and it has been plentiful the past few years. Looking forward to your tips![p]Thanks,[p]Scott

• Borders, I know! I tried to tell my wife that the artistical and sculptural beauty of the jerky trays was a force to cherish and awe and that one should display such beauty where it could be admired. Then she told me to "git outside" with "dem filthy boots"... She just doesn't understand...[p]Cheerios.[p]Scott