Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need advice on changing old for new spring hinge

Options
Wino
Wino Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got a replacement spring hinge for my large. Will finally be giving China the boot in favor of MADE IN THE USA!
That being said, does anyone have any tips for safely removing the spring hinge so as not to get my self drilled by the spring pressure or am I over thinking it.
Second, any advice on putting the new one on with out driving myself insane. Any special wrenches or other tools that I will need? Sunday it is supposed to rain all day so I figured it was a good day to do the swap in the garage.
Thanks in advance
Wino

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Wino,
    If you have a helper, that's best. If you don't, there's still no problem.[p]I wrapped a piece of wire around the old hinge, where the bolt goes through, so I didn't have to worry about "sproinging" the old nut into the lawn. The wire worked well on the new hinge, holding everything in place till I had the nut on the bolt.[p]Ken

• kilo
    kilo Posts: 77
    Options
    Wino,
    The new spring hinge should come with little plastic bars used as safety devices while installing the new hinge and bands. I just did mine and it was very easy just following the instructions provided. If I remember right only needed a 7/16 and 1/2" wrench.[p]Good luck!